The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a meeting at which quorum never appears can still be called to order.

Guest SKB

Taking apart your compound question...

1)  A meeting may be called to order even with no quorum present (and the prospect of one ever showing up unlikely) (p. 347)

but...

2)  (Almost) no business, such as postponing something, may be done at that meeting  -- exceptions on page 347 do NOT include setting a time for a future meeting, called an "adjourned meeting".

It may be because it's early in the morning (for me, at least) but I'm confused reading Dr. Stackpole's answer.

I would say "If a quorum cannot be obtained, the chair calls the meeting to
order
, announces the absence of a quorum, and entertains a motion to adjourn or one of the other motions allowed, as described above." (RONR 11th ed, p. 349, lines 3-7. emphasis added)

The section of "other motions allowed" is found on page 347, lines 30-32. One of those motions is to Fix the Time To Which to Adjourn, which sets the time for a future meeting.

I don't think you need a specific motion to move items to the future meeting, whether it's one previously set or one set at the inquorate meeting, but don't have time to go into that in detail.

1 hour ago, Guest SKB said:

Can a meeting at which quorum never appears can still be called to order to have a motion to continue items to a date certain future meeting and then adjourn?

The meeting may be called to order. A motion to establish an adjourned meeting is in order. The motions would then automatically be taken up at that meeting. Alternatively, if there is already a meeting scheduled which is within a quarterly interval, the meeting can simply be adjourned, and the items will be taken up at that meeting.

A motion to Postpone is not in order without a quorum, but it is also not necessary.

2 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

I'm confused reading Dr. Stackpole's answer.

2 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

The section of "other motions allowed" is found on page 347, lines 30-32. One of those motions is to Fix the Time To Which to Adjourn, which sets the time for a future meeting.

And well you should be as I misread the book.  Mea Culpa.

I suspect the original poster is really seeking help on the difficulty of transacting the organization's business if there is habitually not a quorum at the business meetings.

I have previously opined that the habitual failure to obtain a quorum is not a matter of parliamentary procedure. There may be a solution in civil law, or it may be that the organization goes to ruin. At any rate, RONR does not provide a solution.

1 minute ago, reelsman said:

I have previously opined that the habitual failure to obtain a quorum is not a matter of parliamentary procedure. There may be a solution in civil law, or it may be that the organization goes to ruin.

Or they can provide snacks/meals at meetings (if funding has been authorized). Or give notice of something really controversial.

It's worth noting that in some contexts there may be a technical difference between an adjourned meeting and simply adjourning to let the next regular meeting happen normally, because the former is part of the same session as the original meeting, while the latter is not. If you cannot get a quorum to show up consistently to your meetings, however, that is a strong indication that your organization has other problems, and the organization should reconsider its membership engagement, quorum requirement, and/or existence.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.