The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Slate Vote and Resignation of Sitting Member

Melanie Verrengia

Stay tuned for other thoughts but from what you have told us so far it sounds like the General Membership has no mechanism for electing a Board member at their upcoming Annual Meeting.  The next time the Board meets they should accept the resignation and fill the vacancy until the next Annual Meeting.

4 hours ago, Melanie Verrengia said:

No, the required 10 days notice has passed.

What exactly do your rules on this subject provide?

3 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

Stay tuned for other thoughts but from what you have told us so far it sounds like the General Membership has no mechanism for electing a Board member at their upcoming Annual Meeting.  The next time the Board meets they should accept the resignation and fill the vacancy until the next Annual Meeting.

Well, we know that the rules require 10 days of notice for the report of the nominating committee. I don’t know that this necessarily means that ten days of notice are required for all nominations, or that write-in votes are prohibited.

5 minutes ago, Guest Zev said:

I would urge this group to amend their bylaws and provide for nominations from the floor before elections. I dislike very much situations in which the assembly is hogtied unable to vote for a candidate of their own choice. Just another thought.

If it is in fact the case that the bylaws currently prohibit such nominations, I agree, but I do not think we have enough facts yet to reach that conclusion.

16 minutes ago, Guest Zev said:

I would urge this group to amend their bylaws and provide for nominations from the floor before elections. I dislike very much situations in which the assembly is hogtied unable to vote for a candidate of their own choice. Just another thought.

The rules in RONR already provide for this.  And if nominations have been closed, it takes only a majority vote to reopen them.  This can be done at the time of the election and I don't see why it would require notice, as the notice rule appears to apply to the committee report.

Since the general membership assembly seems to have been the "appointing power" of the resigning board member, I feel compelled to ask by what authority the board would act in accepting the resignation. Does the bylaw conferring the power to fill vacancies upon the board necessarily imply the power to accept resignations? RONR (11th ed.), p. 291, does not seem to answer the question; and, Rule of Interpretation 5) on p. 590 draws me toward an answer in the negative. Is the motion to accept the resignation of the board member in order in the board?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.