The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Reconsider & Expiration of Prevailing Member Term of Office

Guest Guest

Where board bylaws allow for an extended period (e.g. 3 days after the preceding session) in which to bring a motion to reconsider, if a member of the prevailing side wishes to bring a motion to reconsider but his/her membership term will expire before the next regular session, does the motion to reconsider expire with the end of the member's term?

RONR is clear that "Although any member can call up the motion to reconsider as just described, usually no one but the mover of the reconsideration calls it up on the day the motion is made..." (p.323, l.22-25). The words "as just described" in this quote refer to calling up the motion while its suspending effect on the main motion being reconsidered is still active, at any regular meeting or special meeting called for that purpose. Based on this quote I would conclude that the motion to reconsider does not expire with the end of a member's term, and could be called up by any other member if the original mover is no longer present. Even the caveat about calling up the motion on the day it was made does not seem to unequivocally limit the calling up of the motion to the original mover.

Edited by Bruce Lages

I might, just for the record, qualify the answers of Mr Lages and myself to those cases where the next meeting is held within the quarterly time interval (which we both assume). If this is not the case, the suspensive effect of the motion ends, and the motion to Reconsider falls to the ground.

Either way, I think both you and I have answered the question correctly, assuming the next meeting is held within the quarterly time interval.

In particular, the rule in RONR (11th ed.), p. 237, item c) does not apply to cause the motion to Reconsider (or the main motion proposed to be reconsidered) to fall to the ground.

Edited by Rob Elsman

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.