The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda content

Tomm

Do Agenda's typically list (write out) the full text of every individual Motion that is known to be made, or are they simply referenced in a synopsis form or even referenced at all? The full text will then be read out loud when the Agenda reaches the heading such as New Business?

I'm thinking that Agenda's should be simple and more like a program to a theatrical play or commencement exercise just touching on the so-called bullet points, and the full details will be presented when the Agenda finally gets to that proper Heading and not a document that's all inclusive with every little detail ?

Two questions here methinks:

Do they typically?  No.

Can they?  I suppose they could and one could argue that Special Orders of the Day where the motion is already known (such as a postponed motion) could be written out on the agenda but other than a specialized case like this I think it would end up leading to problems.

The correct answer depends on the purpose of the agenda. For example, if the agenda is being posted in advance of a meeting pursuant to an open meetings law, the agenda must conform to the statutory requirements.

In the more ordinary sense, the agenda lists "items of business" about which there are underlying reports or motions. These "items of business" need not repeat the underlying report or motion, since these latter will be presented during the regular course of transacting business during the meeting.

7 hours ago, Tomm said:

Do Agenda's typically list (write out) the full text of every individual Motion that is known to be made, or are they simply referenced in a synopsis form or even referenced at all?

It should first be noted that RONR suggests that most assemblies do not need an agenda at all and would be fine simply following the standard order of business in RONR, but assemblies (even assemblies which are otherwise well-versed in parliamentary procedure) typically ignore that advice. :)

With that said, agendas typically are in the nature of “bullet points,” as you say.

7 hours ago, Tomm said:

I'm thinking that Agenda's should be simple and more like a program to a theatrical play or commencement exercise just touching on the so-called bullet points, and the full details will be presented when the Agenda finally gets to that proper Heading and not a document that's all inclusive with every little detail ?

Yes, I think this is generally correct.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.