The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Publishing the results of an election

Guest Rick Reuss, PT

Our state organization is considering not publishing the vote totals of state elections to spare the feelings of folks who have not garnered enough votes to be elected. Also not publishing the results of the voting in the minutes of the meetings. Where in RONR may I find a citation which would prohibit such a practice.  Indeed, RONR is the parliamentary authority in our Bylaws. Thanks!

12 hours ago, Guest Rick Reuss, PT said:

Our state organization is considering not publishing the vote totals of state elections to spare the feelings of folks who have not garnered enough votes to be elected. Also not publishing the results of the voting in the minutes of the meetings. Where in RONR may I find a citation which would prohibit such a practice.  Indeed, RONR is the parliamentary authority in our Bylaws. Thanks!

Hey Rick,

Just tell the State  PTA Chapter, I said they have to publish the numbers.  That should take care of it all (even though I resigned from the APTA bylaws review business a few weeks ago).

Best,

John Stackpole

As we have learned here on more than one occasion, when a vote by ballot is required by the bylaws, the reading of the tellers report and entry into the minutes is an essential element of that requirement for a vote by ballot, and eliminating that element means that the requirement has not been met.  

Edited by George Mervosh

35 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

As we have learned here on more than one occasion, when a vote by ballot is required by the bylaws, the reading of the tellers report and entry into the minutes is an essential element of that requirement for a vote by ballot, and eliminating that element means that the requirement has not been met.  

I don't believe that anyone has as yet gone so far as to assert that inclusion of the tellers report in the minutes is such an essential element of a ballot vote that failure to do so will nullify a ballot vote, even when such a vote is required by the bylaws, but I'm too lazy to go back and look. 🙂

8 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I don't believe that anyone has as yet gone so far as to assert that inclusion of the tellers report in the minutes is such an essential element of a ballot vote that failure to do so will nullify a ballot vote, even when such a vote is required by the bylaws, but I'm too lazy to go back and look. 🙂

No I don't think you did now that I think about it, so I'll edit that part out.  Thanks, Dan.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.