The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Leaving the chair - Minutes

J. J.

In general, should the fact that the regular  presiding officer left the chair be recorded in the minutes?  Would it make a difference if he left on this own,  or if the rules were suspended to appoint someone else? 

Would be the same a motion to vacate the was adopted in regard to the temporary occupant of the chair?

Observe numbered item (4) at the bottom of page 468 that indicates that the minutes need to mention specifically who is presiding. Any motion, or event, that changed that set of circumstances would also be recorded in the minutes and the name of the new occupant of the chair would also be recorded. Whether the new occupant was permanent or temporary makes no difference, if that is the gist of your last sentence. Happy New Year.

12 minutes ago, Guest Zev said:

Observe numbered item (4) at the bottom of page 468 that indicates that the minutes need to mention specifically who is presiding. Any motion, or event, that changed that set of circumstances would also be recorded in the minutes and the name of the new occupant of the chair would also be recorded. Whether the new occupant was permanent or temporary makes no difference, if that is the gist of your last sentence. Happy New Year.

I would list it, but I'm wondering about the actual requirement.  "Mr. Goldsworthy made the motion 'to prohibit smoking the gazebo.'  While the motion was pending, the chair, Mr. Smith left the chair and Vice President Jones took the chair.  Mr. Smith then took the chair.  The motion was adopted."

I read Item #4 being more of an indication that there is someone there to preside and take the minutes at the start of the meeting rather than a requirement that it needs to be indicated each and every time the chair (or pen) is turned over for bathroom or coffee breaks.  I agree of course that if the changeover is going to be for the remainder of the meeting or a long period of time it should be noted but is it really necessary to do so if the changeover is only for a few minutes?

My reading of RONR indicates meeting minutes must contain motions for requests to suspend the rules or grant a request to be excused from duty, and generally only alluding to the adoption of such secondary motions. Since there is a rule against the chair participating in debate, would the act of relinquishing the chair be considered a suspension of the rules or a request to be excused from duty? If the chair must leave the room, would that act be a request to be excused from duty? This is the only guidance I found that speaks to your question.

2 hours ago, anon said:

My reading of RONR indicates meeting minutes must contain motions for requests to suspend the rules or grant a request to be excused from duty, and generally only alluding to the adoption of such secondary motions. Since there is a rule against the chair participating in debate, would the act of relinquishing the chair be considered a suspension of the rules or a request to be excused from duty? If the chair must leave the room, would that act be a request to be excused from duty? This is the only guidance I found that speaks to your question.

I think that those are alluded to as per p. 470, ll. 1-10.

Where it could be of importance is if a point of order was raised, or a member was named by the chair.

How about:

The regular monthly meeting of the L.M. Society was held on Thursday, January 4, 20  , at 8:30 P.M., at the Society’s building, the President being in the chair and the Secretary being present. The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved as corrected. On occasion during the meeting, Vice-President Jones occupied the chair during short absences of President Smith.

With this language, you do not need to identify each and every change, such as your example above during consideration of Mr. Goldsworthy's excellent motion.

If the Chair takes an action that is recorded in the minutes, such as your examples ruling on a point of order or naming a member, then the minutes can identify the occupant at the time: "On a point of order, Chair Jones ruled that the amendment was not in order as it was not germane to the main motion."

23 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

How about:

The regular monthly meeting of the L.M. Society was held on Thursday, January 4, 20  , at 8:30 P.M., at the Society’s building, the President being in the chair and the Secretary being present. The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved as corrected. On occasion during the meeting, Vice-President Jones occupied the chair during short absences of President Smith.

With this language, you do not need to identify each and every change, such as your example above during consideration of Mr. Goldsworthy's excellent motion.

If the Chair takes an action that is recorded in the minutes, such as your examples ruling on a point of order or naming a member, then the minutes can identify the occupant at the time: "On a point of order, Chair Jones ruled that the amendment was not in order as it was not germane to the main motion."

That could work.  Thank you.

• 8 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.