The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ballots

Celeste

Hello, I am the secretary at an over 55 manufactured home/rv park. We had an election yesterday and a Canadian man approached me about the ballots. We follow Robert's Rules and I felt all was done properly. He insisted that I was wrong for not having the names typed on the ballots. That is impossible since we accept nominations on the day of elections.(as per our bylaws). What I did was placed a large board at the voting station with the positions and the candidates' names listed.  He said that it was an illegal vote. I beg to differ. Thank you for your input. Celeste Stennett

There is nothing in RONR that requires the ballots be pre-printed.  Indeed as you pointed out it would be impractical to do so when you take nominations from the floor.

I also wonder why he didn't bring this up as a Point of Order when the election was pending where the Chair (and Membership if an Appeal was raised) would decide on the propriety of conducting the election in the way it was?

Any reason why you told us this guy is a Canadian?  :D

On 2/19/2020 at 6:22 AM, Chris Harrison said:

There is nothing in RONR that requires the ballots be pre-printed.  Indeed as you pointed out it would be impractical to do so when you take nominations from the floor.

I also wonder why he didn't bring this up as a Point of Order when the election was pending where the Chair (and Membership if an Appeal was raised) would decide on the propriety of conducting the election in the way it was?

Any reason why you told us this guy is a Canadian?  :D

No reason, just the thought that maybe in Canada they do things differently. Thank you, Celeste

"Canadian" is a very easy way of indicating that the person is of high intelligence and that his opinions should be given the utmost respect and thoughtful consideration.

He is probably more familiar with organizations where write-in votes are prohibited.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:04 PM, Rob Elsman said:

Did you know the Canadian dollar coin is known as a "looney"? Just saying.

Malicious insinuations about the intelligence of others are more effective if the perpetrator knows how to spell properly. It is known as a loonie.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.