The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Do executive committee minute require approval

Laura Kelley

8 minutes ago, Laura Kelley said:

Can this wait until the next meeting, which could be months? Or can we call a vote via email? I am in California if that makes a difference. 

Do your bylaws authorize the executive committee to conduct business via electronic means?  Was your meeting held in person or by electronic means?

2 minutes ago, Laura Kelley said:

Yes, we can conduct business via electronic means, and yes this meeting was a video meeting.

If the executive committee is authorized by the bylaws to conduct business by electronic means and won't be meeting again within a quarterly time interval, then I would suggest calling a brief meeting to approve those minutes.

23 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

If the executive committee is authorized by the bylaws to conduct business by electronic means and won't be meeting again within a quarterly time interval, then I would suggest calling a brief meeting to approve those minutes.

I concur. And I would suggest that in the future, if the next meeting will not be within a quarterly time interval, a committee be apponted to approve the minutes.

5 hours ago, Laura Kelley said:

Hello,

Our nonprofit executive committee met last week to approve a minor action. Do these minutes need to be approved? If so, by whom?

Thank you,

Laura

I hope that this question isn't arising because of a perception that the action has to wait for the minutes to be approved. All executive committee meetings should have minutes and they should all be approved at the next meeting or by a minutes approval committee. The motions adopted at one meeting are effective immediately upon their adoption. 

1 minute ago, Atul Kapur said:

I hope that this question isn't arising because of a perception that the action has to wait for the minutes to be approved. All executive committee meetings should have minutes and they should all be approved at the next meeting or by a minutes approval committee. The motions adopted at one meeting are effective immediately upon their adoption. 

Good point, Atul. I hadn't considered the possibility of that misperception

14 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

No, we understand the that action taken doesn't need approval of the minutes. Thank you for your input. 

19 hours ago, Weldon Merritt said:

I concur. And I would suggest that in the future, if the next meeting will not be within a quarterly time interval, a committee be apponted to approve the minutes.

When you say a committee should be appointment to approve the minutes, could they approved during a regular board meeting? 

3 minutes ago, Laura Kelley said:

When you say a committee should be appointment to approve the minutes, could they approved during a regular board meeting? 

Yes.  For example, if your executive committee is meeting today and the next meeting won't be held within a quarterly time interval, the executive committee can appoint a couple of members to approve the minutes. This way you have an official record of the actions taken.

• 9 months later...
11 minutes ago, Guest Deborah Hughes said:

Should minutes from the Executive Committee be distributed to the Board before they have been approved by the Executive Committee?

Guest Deborah, please ask your question by starting a new topic. Even though your question might be similar to this thread, we prefer that New questions be asked by starting a new topic.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.