The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a voting member make a motion and then abstain from voting?

Guest J Green

At a recent meeting board meeting, one of our voting members made a motion to approve an item, someone seconded, and when we called for votes, he abstained from voting yes or no.

When we asked him why he made the motion, he said that there was no rule that prohibit a member to make a motion and then not vote. This person didn't agree with the item brought for approval but when the Chair asked for a motion, since no one offered a motion, he made the motion in order to move forward.

Is this correct?

In fact, this member could even have voted against the motion that they moved. This is explicitly allowed in RONR 11th ed., p.393, lines 19-26.

The only prohibition is that they cannot speak against the motion. Someone who seconds a motion does not even have that restriction on them.

The explanation the member gave is an excellent example of when this rule is useful.

2 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

I agree with the above. I'm curious, though, why the chair was asking for a motion. Generally debate begins on a topic after a motion is made and seconded and the chair states the question.

It could be that this is some sort of governmental entity that was required to deal with an issue that was the subject of the motions. But if not, then I also wonder why it was handled in the way that it was. (I overlooked that nuance when I initially responded.) 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.