The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations from the floor

DaChief

• 6 months later...
On 10/27/2020 at 12:40 PM, Weldon Merritt said:

No. If your bylaws do not prohibit nominations from the floor, the chair must call for them. 

What if a member moves to close all nominations from the floor? Is that motion in order? Debatable? Requires 2/3 vote?

5 minutes ago, Guest Nik said:

What if a member moves to close all nominations from the floor? Is that motion in order? Debatable? Requires 2/3 vote?

The motion to close them is not in order when anyone still wishes to make a nomination, and when it's clear no further nominations are coming the chair should simply declare them closed.  If formally moved and in order, the motion requires a 2/3 vote without debate.

Edited by George Mervosh

4 hours ago, Guest Nik said:

Yes, in order if no one is seeking to make additional nominations, not debatable, and requires a 2/3 vote.

But if closed, reopening nominations requires only a majority vote.

I think that, technically, the rules could be suspended to prohibit nominations from the floor.  However, the rule protects a minority of one, and 25:2, #7 would apply.  If there were an objection, then the rule could not be suspended. 

I don't see anything in text that says that it is a basic right of an individual member to make a nomination for an office. 

2 hours ago, J. J. said:

I think that, technically, the rules could be suspended to prohibit nominations from the floor.  However, the rule protects a minority of one, and 25:2, #7 would apply. 

So it could be prohibited only if nobody wanted to do it anyway? 

Is that appreciably different from not being suspendible at all?

8 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

So it could be prohibited only if nobody wanted to do it anyway? 

Is that appreciably different from not being suspendible at all?

It would make a difference in determining if it was a breach of a continuing nature (23:6 e, 25:11).  If nominations were improperly closed, that, in itself, could not invalidate the election after the fact. 

That is a technical thing, but I have seen attempts to invalidate an election on those, or similar, grounds. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.