The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session

Guest Cliff Martin

I am on a board and we were in executive session.

One board member was jotting down notes and was told by the board president that the only person that could write during Executive session is the recording secretary.

Is this accurate?

Next, Can I refer to questions I have on my phone during executive session?

Just now, Guest Cliff Martin said:

One board member was jotting down notes and was told by the board president that the only person that could write during Executive session is the recording secretary.

Is this accurate?

Nothing in RONR says that.

1 minute ago, Guest Cliff Martin said:

Nothing in RONR prohibits it.

The President seems rightly concerned about secrecy but what he says is not in the book.

2 hours ago, Guest Cliff Martin said:

I am on a board and we were in executive session.

Is this accurate?

I concur with my colleagues, although I would add that an assembly is free to adopt additional rules to enforce the secrecy of executive session if it wishes to do so.

1 hour ago, Rob Elsman said:

I believe Mr. Martin means that an assembly is free to adopt a standing rule prohibiting the taking of notes during an executive session, RONR (12th ed.) 2:23-24.

I think it would have to be a special rule, as it broadly deals with the transaction of business, but the assembly could regard this as a violation of decorum and prohibit it. 

1 minute ago, Rob Elsman said:

I disagree that the taking of notes in executive session by members other than the secretary has anything to do with parliamentary procedure, so a special rule of order would not be proper.

It does, broadly, have to do with the transaction of business within a meeting, i.e. the member cannot do some action where the assembly does something. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.