The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending the Budget

Guest Zandra Johnson

Guest Zandra Johnson

My organization has adopted a budget allocating specific amounts to line items.  I would like to have the budget revised to allow for a line item originally listed but not allotted funds by reducing one line item and increasing the amount for the line item not previously allotted any.  I need to make the motion and have it voted on in the same meeting (time crunch).  Do I make a Motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted?  If so, how is that motion stated?  And does it require 2/3 majority vote of those who attend so long as we have quorum as defined in our Bylaws?

Incidentally, you state the motion as if you were offering two separate motions, one to decrease the budget for line item, say A.5, by $500, and increase the budget for line item, say B.3, by $500, all in one single sentence. Please return if you need more help on this. 

51 minutes ago, Guest Guest Zandra Johnson said:

I suppose that is what I am doing.  I am trying to figure out the most efficient and rational way to accomplish this.  Any suggestions?

At the first coming meeting give "previous notice" of your motion ( this way at the next (second) meeting only a majority is needed)

At the second meeting move the motion.

I personally would start with the good ideas you can do with the money and only secondary where the money is coming from . 

Between the meetings speak with members of your ideas, that makes it easier for them to agree with you :)

On 4/22/2021 at 10:26 PM, Guest Zandra Johnson said:

My organization has adopted a budget allocating specific amounts to line items.  I would like to have the budget revised to allow for a line item originally listed but not allotted funds by reducing one line item and increasing the amount for the line item not previously allotted any.  I need to make the motion and have it voted on in the same meeting (time crunch).  Do I make a Motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted?  If so, how is that motion stated?  And does it require 2/3 majority vote of those who attend so long as we have quorum as defined in our Bylaws?

This sort of motion (budget transfer) is quite common, especially in organizations with very detailed budgets. It's handled as a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted.   

As has been noted, it might require a 2/3 vote, but an ordinary 2/3 vote (of those present and voting) not 2/3 of everyone in attendance.  The difference is that abstentions do not affect the outcome of an ordinary 2/3 vote.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:30 AM, Guest Zev said:

Incidentally, you state the motion as if you were offering two separate motions, one to decrease the budget for line item, say A.5, by $500, and increase the budget for line item, say B.3, by $500, all in one single sentence. Please return if you need more help on this. 

I need more help on this.  Are two amendments in one like this proper if a proposed budget is pending and we're using the subsidiary motion to amend?  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.