The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Open meeting to executive session

Guest Mdsckelly

Guest Open meeting to executive

My question is, is there an issue to adjourn the open meeting, and then move to executive session. I don't plan to return to open session, so I want to adjourn open session before proceeding to executive session.

14 minutes ago, Guest Open meeting to executive said:

My question is, is there an issue to adjourn the open meeting, and then move to executive session. I don't plan to return to open session, so I want to adjourn open session before proceeding to executive session.

Doing what you say you want to do would be a big mistake. Once a meting is adjourned, its over. 

Pay attention to H.H.H.

1 hour ago, Guest Open meeting to executive said:

As Mr. Honemann said, once the meeting adjourns, it is adjourned.... it is over.  Unless the executive session has been called as a separate meeeting, there will be no authority to start a new meeting in executive session once the meeting is adjourned.  You should call the meeting to order in open session, take care of whatever business is to be done in open session, then, without adjourning, go into executive session by a majority vote or, as is common, by unanimous consent.  When the business to be taken care of in executive session is concluded, simply adjourn the meeting.  There is no need to come out of executive session and go back to open session before adjourning, but you may do so if you prefer.  There is no point in it if there is no more business to conduct.

1 hour ago, Guest Open meeting to executive said:

The "open meeting" and the "executive session" aren't two separate meetings, they are two parts of the same meeting. You don't "adjourn open session." The motion to adjourn ends the meeting in its entirety, and therefore should not be adopted until all portions of the meeting are over.

The proper motion is to adopt a motion to go into executive session. Whether or not the assembly intends to later return to open session does not change this process.

Not sure what is the problem.

My guess is that Guest Mdsckelly wants to set the date of the next meeting (so that the  public in advance  knows when the next public meeting is and confuses the "motion to adjourn' with the " motion to fix the time to which to adjourn" ( while not adjourn after this but going into executive session). 

If this was your question (and I am only guessing) this is all okay and can be done see  section  22 of RONR.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:35 AM, Guest Open meeting to executive said:

Once you "adjourn" you can't move anything, and everyone goes home.  If you want to go into executive session, just move to go into executive session.  At the end, you can move to come out, and then adjourn, or simply adjourn.  I recommend the former, so that the time of adjournment will appear in the minutes of the general meeting, and not those of the executive session.

2 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

At the end, you can move to come out, and then adjourn, or simply adjourn.  I recommend the former, so that the time of adjournment will appear in the minutes of the general meeting, and not those of the executive session.

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

Good advice. I agree. 

If a meeting which began in open session adjourns while in executive session, let's say it's 3:00 PM, I see no reason why the minutes of the open session could not reflect that it was adjourned at 3:00 PM.

4 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

If a meeting which began in open session adjourns while in executive session, let's say it's 3:00 PM, I see no reason why the minutes of the open session could not reflect that it was adjourned at 3:00 PM.

As a matter of fact, I think that that is exactly what they should do.

39 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

38 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

As a matter of fact, I think that that is exactly what they should do

As I think more about it, I agree.  I see no reason why the regular minutes of the meeting cannot state the time of adjournment.  Regardless of whether the adjournment was done in open session or executive session, the time of adjournment should be included in the minutes of the meeting.  RONR (12th ed.) 48:4 (12).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.