The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recusal

Caryn Ann Harlos

I am aware of what RONR says on recusal and how it can't be compelled.  But I am in a situation now where people are claiming if someone has already come to a strong opinion on a matter that they should recuse themselves from voting.  I find that frankly assinine as that is the whole point of advocacy.  A person making a motion usually (hopefully) has a strong opinion on the matter, that is why they are advocating the motion.  

12 minutes ago, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

I am aware of what RONR says on recusal and how it can't be compelled.  But I am in a situation now where people are claiming if someone has already come to a strong opinion on a matter that they should recuse themselves from voting.  I find that frankly assinine as that is the whole point of advocacy.  A person making a motion usually (hopefully) has a strong opinion on the matter, that is why they are advocating the motion.  

Is there a question here somewhere?

3 hours ago, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

I find that frankly assinine as that is the whole point of advocacy.

It is, at least in a democratic situation. They might have a point in certain administrative and judicial contexts. But not in a situation of the sort described in RONR. Even less so, in my opinion, where they represent a constituency.

18 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

A deliberative assembly that is not a legislature. Obviously, in certain cases, laws may apply that define conflict of interest differently than we do.

Well, I suppose there may be a legislative body somewhere in the world which has a rule which says that a member who has already come to a strong opinion on a matter should recuse himself from voting, but I doubt that it will be anywhere in the United States.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.