The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Executive Session

Guest H. Michael Anderson

I think the scenario is that the board held an executive session, after which its membership changed, and you now wish to know if the new members have the right to those minutes. If I have that right, then yes, they do, as they are members of the body that held the executive session. And former members no longer have a right to them.

On 8/28/2021 at 4:01 PM, Guest H. Michael Anderson said:

Can Executive Session Minutes be shared from a past Boards Executive Session on to a New Structured Board?  

Yes. Current board members are entitled to see all minutes of previous meetings of the board, whether or not held in executive session. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 1:26 PM, Dan Honemann said:

Yes. Current board members are entitled to see all minutes of previous meetings of the board, whether or not held in executive session. 

Is there a citation in RONR that makes that point clearly?

I know a board member who had previously been dismissed from the board but has since ran for office again and is now back on the board. This board member was unable to attend the executive session that was used for her dismissal and has not been allowed to see the minutes of that meeting!

I think knowing this would be extremely beneficial!

On 2/10/2022 at 4:18 PM, Tomm said:

Is there a citation in RONR that makes that point clearly?

I know a board member who had previously been dismissed from the board but has since ran for office again and is now back on the board. This board member was unable to attend the executive session that was used for her dismissal and has not been allowed to see the minutes of that meeting!

I think knowing this would be extremely beneficial!

RONR (12th ed.), 49:17 and 47:36

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.