The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non-confidence re administration

Guest jarnold@mbschoolboards.ca

Guest jarnold@mbschoolboards.ca

Is there such a thing as a vote of non-confidence in administration?  If so, what section of RRO can I find it?  A school board voted on their Superintendent's report, two voted against and lost so they want to have a vote of non-confidence.  The rest of the board would not support it but can they even have that vote?

On 9/23/2021 at 9:50 AM, Guest jarnold@mbschoolboards.ca said:

Is there such a thing as a vote of non-confidence in administration?  If so, what section of RRO can I find it?  A school board voted on their Superintendent's report, two voted against and lost so they want to have a vote of non-confidence.  The rest of the board would not support it but can they even have that vote?

See FAQ#7 here -  https://robertsrules.com/frequently-asked-questions/#faqs

Thank you George Mervosh.  I did look at the link you sent but unfortunately this only refers to elected members and not their administration (the bureaucrats).  From what you've sent however, I will assume that RRO does not have anything in that regard and it would be dealt with through the terms of their contract.  In this case what the board member is unhappy with does not come close to the bar for even a reprimand, let alone dismissal.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:28 AM, Janis Arnold said:

Thank you George Mervosh.  I did look at the link you sent but unfortunately this only refers to elected members and not their administration (the bureaucrats).  From what you've sent however, I will assume that RRO does not have anything in that regard and it would be dealt with through the terms of their contract.  In this case what the board member is unhappy with does not come close to the bar for even a reprimand, let alone dismissal.

As far as RONR is concerned I don't see anything improper about adopting a motion of no confidence in someone other than a fellow board member.  As the FAQ states, this is just an attempt to express an opinion.  Also this motion is amendable.  So If a motion is put forth to express no confidence in John Doe, the board can offer and adopt an amendment to strike "no" and insert "complete" and then vote on the motion in its final form.  The two unhappy members may be even more unhappy if that happens.  

You should check with your board's attorney if you have further questions.

Edited by George Mervosh

On 9/23/2021 at 11:14 AM, Rob Elsman said:

Most school district superintendents work on a contract basis.  When this one's contract comes up for renewal, the perceived lack of confidence, and the reasons for it, can be expressed persuasively in opposition. 

I agree with @Rob Elsman. Although such a vote would not be prohibited by RONR, it could be considered as a disciplinary reprimand of an employee, and such personnel matters are usually not part of the public record, perhaps by regulation.  If it is done, it should probably be done only in executive session.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.