The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Renewal of motion and Suspend the rules

paulmcclintock

Member A wants his motion to be voted on without debate or amendment. He moves "to suspend the rules and buy a new gavel." It is seconded and voted on without debate or amendment, and lacking the required two-thirds vote, is lost, though it seemed to have a majority in support.

Is it in order at this point for member A to move "that we buy a new gavel" (without suspend the rules)? Does the lack of suspend the rules make it either a different question, or different circumstances, allowing it to be "renewed" at the same meeting?

On 3/24/2022 at 4:00 PM, paulmcclintock said:

Member A wants his motion to be voted on without debate or amendment. He moves "to suspend the rules and buy a new gavel." It is seconded and voted on without debate or amendment, and lacking the required two-thirds vote, is lost, though it seemed to have a majority in support.

Is it in order at this point for member A to move "that we buy a new gavel" (without suspend the rules)? Does the lack of suspend the rules make it either a different question, or different circumstances, allowing it to be "renewed" at the same meeting?

On 3/24/2022 at 4:09 PM, George Mervosh said:

I always thought what is said in 25:20 answered this:  "If such a motion does not receive the required two-thirds vote, the main motion can be taken up only in the normal way."   However I don't think that is considered renewing anything.

Mr. Mervosh has this right.  The only thing that the assembly has decided is that it will not suspend the rules for the purpose of adoption of the motion to buy a new gavel without debate or amendment.

(The form the member used: "to suspend the rules and buy a new gavel", however. leaves something to be desired.)  🙂 

This reminds me of the question I asked a little while ago in the main room viz. can a person make multiple motions to accomplish the same thing as long as they are different motions and I believe that answer there was yes.  So you can move to Suspend the Rules to do X and if that fails make a main motion to do X and it is not renewing the same motion.

On 3/24/2022 at 4:21 PM, Dan Honemann said:

(The form the member used: "to suspend the rules and buy a new gavel", however. leaves something to be desired.)  🙂 

How about: "to suspend the rules and agree to the motion:  'That a new gavel be purchased'"?

Hmm, sorry for the strange nested quote format.  My actual response is the "How about:" above.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.