The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspending a Bylaw

Tomm

On 8/16/2022 at 3:10 PM, Tomm said:

Can a Bylaw that effects what happens outside the context of a meeting be suspended?

The corporation has a Bylaw that states Members cannot collect Member signatures for proxy votes or petitions on corporation property. 

Can this Bylaw be suspended? 

No.  See RONR (12th ed.), 25:13 

On 8/18/2022 at 3:11 PM, Augustin said:

The Bylaw in question can certainly be amended (including being fully deleted), by following the procedure for amending that the bylaws provide.

Oh, I think we would all agree with that point.  However, depending upon the  process for amending the bylaws, there may not be time to do that before the event or situation that Tomm has in mind.  For example, The bylaws of some organizations provide that the bylaws can only be amended at an annual or biennial meeting or convention. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last two words

Richard Brown, I hear you. I got the sense from the OP that some of the members wanted this particular bylaw gone, any way they could. I certainly could be misunderstanding.

This sounds like a HOA or COA, where proxy gathering is permitted and has had a long tradition of being used. (Granted the electronic age seems to be slowly fazing proxies out of the legal picture.) Whatever sort of entity this is, and since proxies seem to be allowed, I would also be asking whether the Bylaws have a provision for calling a Special Meeting for performing a vote. Or more and more, state statutes appear to allow, for certain corporations, voting without having a meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.