The Official RONR Q & A Forums

what does the parliamentarian do when the president leaves the chair

puzzling

What does the parliamentarian do when the president leaves the chair?

In some instances the president needs to leave the chair , for example if the assembly goes into the committee of the whole.

If the assembly has a parliamentarian does he also leaves his place or does he stay and advices the present chair? (vice-president in this instance)

(and the same question on other moments the president leaves or has to leave the chair)

Edited by puzzling
typo

• puzzling changed the title to what does the parliamentarian do when the president leaves the chair
On 12/19/2022 at 5:17 AM, puzzling said:

In some instances the president needs to leave the chair , for example if the assembly goes into the committee of the whole.

If the assembly has a parliamentarian does he also leaves his place or does he stay and advices the present chair? (vice-president in this instance)

(and the same question on other moments the president leaves or has to leave the chair)

The parliamentarian would remain and advise the person now serving as chair.

On 12/19/2022 at 6:17 AM, puzzling said:

Read 47:50-53

On 12/19/2022 at 4:17 AM, puzzling said:

Question: Seems to me that if the assembly goes into a committee of the whole, then noting really changes does it, the chair still presides? Am I missing something?

On 12/19/2022 at 3:59 PM, Tomm said:

Question: Seems to me that if the assembly goes into a committee of the whole, then noting really changes does it, the chair still presides? Am I missing something?

When going into the committee of the whole, someone else is normally selected to preside. I don’t have the book in front of me and cannot access Kindle at the moment but if I find the citation in the next few minutes I will post it unless someone else has already done so.

Edited to add:  see section 52:7 regarding who presides in the committee of the whole:  “If the motion of referral to the committee of the whole is adopted, the presiding officer immediately calls another member to the chair—frequently, but not necessarily, the vice-president—and takes his place as a member of the committee. . . . “

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph with citation and quote.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:20 PM, Tomm said:

Roger that! I see it in 52:5 but I suppose there's nothing preventing the same person to serve as chair. 

It's probably a bit more specific in 52:2 and 52:7, but I agree that the regular presiding officer should be able to preside in the committee of the whole if that is what the assembly desires or maybe even if the chair appoints himself to preside without objection.  If it is desired that the regular chair continue to preside, I think it would be better if the motion to go into the committee of the whole also specifies that the regular presiding officer will continue to preside in the committee.

Edited to add:  I'm curious as to whether anyone believes it would require a suspension of the rules for the regular presiding officer to preside over the meeting of the committee of the whole.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

On 12/19/2022 at 6:17 AM, puzzling said:

On 12/19/2022 at 7:34 AM, Dan Honemann said:

Read 47:50-53

If the president is away for a prolonged period of time, does the parliamentarian re-read those paragraphs or keep reading on? 

On 12/19/2022 at 4:45 PM, Richard Brown said:

It's probably a bit more specific in 52:2 and 52:7, but I agree that the regular presiding officer should be able to preside in the committee of the whole if that is what the assembly desires or maybe even if the chair appoints himself to preside without objection.  If it is desired that the regular chair continue to preside, I think it would be better if the motion to go into the committee of the whole also specifies that the regular presiding officer will continue to preside in the committee.

Edited to add:  I'm curious as to whether anyone believes it would require a suspension of the rules for the regular presiding officer to preside over the meeting of the committee of the whole.

I am in agreement that if the assembly wishes to have the regular presiding officer continue to preside during Committee of the Whole, the assembly may do so. I do not think this would require a suspension of the rules.

It should be noted, however, that doing so will mean that either a.) the regular presiding officer should relinquish the chair when the assembly considers the report of the Committee of the Whole or b.) the Committee of the Whole should select a different person to serve as reporting member.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 12/19/2022 at 4:59 PM, Tomm said:

The chair normally does not preside in Committee of the Whole.    See 52:7.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.