The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Write-In Votes on Ballot Elections

Caryn Ann Harlos

On 1/2/2023 at 12:29 PM, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

Can write-in votes on ballot elections be prohibited in the bylaws?  Please note I understand why this may not be a good idea, so I am not asking that, but I am wondering if it is even permitted.

Yes.  Although this may not be what you are thinking, RONR gives an example of depriving members of such a right:  "A provision can be included to dispense with the ballot when there is only one candidate for an office, although this deprives members of the privilege of voting for “write-in” candidates in such a case."  RONR (12th ed.), 56:26

On 1/2/2023 at 12:29 PM, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

Can write-in votes on ballot elections be prohibited in the bylaws?  Please note I understand why this may not be a good idea, so I am not asking that, but I am wondering if it is even permitted.

If there is a rule at a higher level than the bylaws that requires a ballot vote for elections, then it's possible that write-in votes cannot be prohibited in the bylaws. But if there is no higher-level rule that interferes, then the bylaws can allow or prohibit anything that enough members agree to (by a vote to adopt or amend bylaws). 

On 1/2/2023 at 1:15 PM, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

Yes thank you that is what I was thinking and I had that reference - my concern was that they call it a right and nowhere else say it can be disposed of through the bylaws, just that one instance, so I don't know if the RONR intent was that it couldn't be in other instances.

Yes the bylaws can remove a shocking variety of rights, even very fundamental ones.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.