The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Specific Bylaw in nature of a rule of order

Caryn Ann Harlos

On 9/25/2023 at 2:46 PM, J. J. said:

Then can any rule in RONR be suspended in a committee? If so, where is the line drawn? 

I thought this had been made clear quite a number of times during this and other discussions 

With respect to the rules in RONR, those which are made specifically applicable to committees cannot be suspended by them.  These rules are highlighted in 50:25.*  These are in addition to those described in 25:7.  This leaves quite a few rules which may be suspended in committees.

-----------------------------------

* I think this is a complete list, but I'm not 100% certain that it is.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/24/2023 at 8:06 AM, Dan Honemann said:

Mr. Seebeck, your reference to being a systems engineer seems to be designed to indicate that this tends to enhance the ability to properly understand parliamentary law, but I'm afraid that your contributions to this discussion fail to support this notion.

How professional of you.  Decorum, Mr. Honneman.

I indicated that to give my background about how I think, which is in methodologies and nuances of structures and processes, specifically on highly complex multi-million-dollar satellite and defense systems--a 27-year+ career field that requires such attention to the details and distinctions between those structures and those processes.

And yes, because of that necessary understanding of those methodologies and nuances of structures and processes, it does enhance the ability to understand parliamentary law, because it is a skillset that transfers over to many fields, including law, contracts, technical writing, accounting, and engineering of all fields.

I'm sorry if explaining my background and how I think upsets you.

Edited by Michael Seebeck

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.