The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chair's Partiality Caused by Requested Agenda Item

Roman.76

Assume the President is authorized by rule to draft the agenda for the regular meetings of an organized society.  The rule allows members to submit items to the President as well as for the President to include other items to be listed on the draft agenda, which is subject to approval at the beginning of the meeting.  Under each agenda item title, the name of the item's requester is listed.

For example:
. . .
4. Authorize the purchase of _____ in the amount of _____ for the society's annual party.
Requested by [First & Last Name]
. . .

To clarify, in this case, the use of agenda items does not automatically bring the question before the assembly.  The item of business still requires a motion and a second for it to be considered and put to a vote.

During the meeting, the President serves as the chair.  Assume the above item was requested by the President (and his name is listed below the item), does that then make the chair biased and breach his/her duty to remain impartial as the presiding officer?  If so, should the President relinquish the chair when that item of business arises in the order of the agenda?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts in advance!

The president should relinquish the chair if he intends to enter into debate on the issue.  If he needs to move the item himself rather than having another member move it, he should probably relinquish the chair before doing so.

But it would not be improper to address the need for this particular motion during the President's report, explain the rationale, and I think even urge others to support the motion when it comes up later in the meeting.  In that case, if he can get another member to move it, and does not intend to participate during actual debate, I believe he can remain in the chair while this item is considered.

If this body operates with Robert's Rules of Order (12th ed.) as its parliamentary authority and meets as often as the quarterly time interval, there is already an order of business, and the body should not be adopting an agenda at the beginning of each meeting.

I am of the opinion that the situation that gives rise to this topic could best be avoided by dropping the use of an agenda and following the standard order of  business discussed in RONR (12th ed.) §41.

On 12/7/2023 at 5:12 PM, Roman.76 said:

During the meeting, the President serves as the chair.  Assume the above item was requested by the President (and his name is listed below the item), does that then make the chair biased and breach his/her duty to remain impartial as the presiding officer?  If so, should the President relinquish the chair when that item of business arises in the order of the agenda?

If the chair is not moving the item, but simply placing it on the agenda, as I take the question to be, I don't think that calls his partiality into question and requires him to stand aside. I agree with the other comments, except that if the organization's rules require an agenda, then they require an agenda. 

On 12/7/2023 at 4:12 PM, Roman.76 said:

Assume the above item was requested by the President (and his name is listed below the item), does that then make the chair biased and breach his/her duty to remain impartial as the presiding officer?  If so, should the President relinquish the chair when that item of business arises in the order of the agenda?

I do not think that the fact that the President has requested the item (outside of a meeting) or that his name is listed below the item, in and of itself, makes the chair biased and breaches the chair's duty to maintain the appearance of impartiality. Of course, if the President wishes to actually make this motion, or speak in debate on this motion, or in some other manner the chair's appearance of impartiality is compromised, then the President should relinquish the chair.

I would also note that, under the organization's rules, I am not entirely certain the President requesting an item be placed on the agenda necessarily indicates the President has taken a position on that item. It would seem to me the President may well request a number of items to be placed on the agenda because the President knows they are items that need to be attended to at the upcoming meeting, one way or the other.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.