The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is there a rule about repeating yourself in a debate?

Guest Peter

I was a little surprised at the use of "chastized" [sic] in the original post. Neither the book nor I suggest that it is the role of the presiding officer to ever chastise a member during a meeting. I have said on this forum before that the presiding officer should set a tone that is welcoming, comfortable, and encouraging. Chastising members during a meeting sounds more like embarrassing, humiliating, and discouraging members to me.

On 7/28/2024 at 9:24 AM, Rob Elsman said:

I was a little surprised at the use of "chastized" [sic] in the original post. Neither the book nor I suggest that it is the role of the presiding officer to ever chastise a member during a meeting. I have said on this forum before that the presiding officer should set a tone that is welcoming, comfortable, and encouraging. Chastising members during a meeting sounds more like embarrassing, humiliating, and discouraging members to me.

Chastisement may, in lay terms, include something like the chair saying, "The member will refrain from referring to other members by name."  That would be completely proper in that circumstance.

I tend to agree, in this specific case, that repetition is not out of order, provided the debate is relevant to the issue  at hand.

I deliberately use the word, "admonish" on this forum. "Admonish" comes from the combination of two Latin words: the preposition, "AD", meaning "to", "toward", or "forward" and "MONÉRE", meaning "to advise or warn". The sense that I intend to convey is that the chair sets the expectations of behaviors going forward, exactly as J.J.'s example, rather than remonstrating about acts already completed. Admonishment, when done properly, sets an example of patience, temperance, forbearance, and prudence. This should leave the recipient corrected but not belittled.

Edited by Rob Elsman

On 7/27/2024 at 10:40 PM, Guest Peter said:

The Chair interupted and chastized someone for repeating themselves in a debate. Is this a rule or is it allowed?

The only rules in RONR concern time limits and ensuring that the debate remains germane to the question.  Repetition is not addressed.

But if the repetition consists of repeating arguments already made by others, the chair might enquire with increasing emphasis, between speeches, whether the assembly is ready for the question.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.