The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approval of Minutes

Guest Patricia A.White

If there are no corrections or additions to minutes, do you have to vote on the minutes

Once corrections (if any) have been made, the chair simply declares the minutes approved. No vote (since voting not to approve them is not an option).

But note that there can be a vote on any proposed corrections, if there's a disagreement.

Once corrections (if any) have been made, the chair simply declares the minutes approved. No vote (since voting not to approve them is not an option).

But note that there can be a vote on any proposed corrections, if there's a disagreement.

Although...... while it is "generally smoother to do the approval of minutes ... by unanimous consent, ... a formal motion to approve them is not out of the order." (RONR 10th Ed. p. 343 ll. 19-22)

So, Patricia, if that's the way things have been going with your group, the few seconds it takes to hear all those "ayes"(and no "nos" I hope!) won't be too detrimental. And it isn't wrong, just so you know, so don't worry. But there is a slightly quicker way, as Mr. Mountcastle has described, that gets the meeting moving along.

And who knows, when the 11th edition appears, we may find it in fact out of order to move to approve the minutes finally. I'll bet there are lots of wonderful surprises in store. <_<

Although...... while it is "generally smoother to do the approval of minutes ... by unanimous consent, ... a formal motion to approve them is not out of the order." (RONR 10th Ed. p. 343 ll. 19-22)

So, Patricia, if that's the way things have been going with your group, the few seconds it takes to hear all those "ayes"(and no "nos" I hope!) won't be too detrimental. And it isn't wrong, just so you know, so don't worry.

The fact that the motion is not out of order does not mean that a vote is appropriate.

So, Patricia, if that's the way things have been going with your group, the few seconds it takes to hear all those "ayes"(and no "nos" I hope!) won't be too detrimental. And it isn't wrong, just so you know, so don't worry. But there is a slightly quicker way, as Mr. Mountcastle has described, that gets the meeting moving along.

And who knows, when the 11th edition appears, we may find it in fact out of order to move to approve the minutes finally. I'll bet there are lots of wonderful surprises in store. dry.gif

Whether or not a formal motion is made, the question of the approval of the minutes is not put to a vote. The only way not to approve the draft of the minutes prepared by the secretary is to approve them with corrections. Rejecting them is not an option.

I have this page highlighted in my copy of RONR, which means that I expect the authors to make a clarification in the next edition, since this procedure repeatedly comes up on this forum. unsure.gif

Whether or not a formal motion is made, the question of the approval of the minutes is not put to a vote. The only way not to approve the draft of the minutes prepared by the secretary is to approve them with corrections. Rejecting them is not an option.

I have this page highlighted in my copy of RONR, which means that I expect the authors to make a clarification in the next edition, since this procedure repeatedly comes up on this forum. unsure.gif

You expect a lot.

The fact that the motion is not out of order does not mean that a vote is appropriate.

Whether or not a formal motion is made, the question of the approval of the minutes is not put to a vote. .... I expect the authors to make a clarification in the next edition....

You expect a lot.

Agreed all around. (Especially with George :) ) Let's hope somewhere along the Rob gets his wish.

Archived