The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Immediate Past President who resigns

Guest Mike DiDonato

If the immediate past president is a member of the Board by your bylaws, he can't resign, he can only stop participating. There can only be one IPP (the last person to be President).

I hope Bob Fish posts a link to where you can read or order his article on the subject......it's a good one.

If an immediate past president resigns from a Board does he/she remain listed as the immediate past president or does that title fall to the previous immediate past president?

Either the position is vacant or the position is occupied and the incumbent is refusing to serve. In no case does it fall to the previous IPP.

This is yet another good example of a reason to not include the IPP as a board member. I recommend that you create a board position that can only be filled by a past president. Then, if that position becomes vacant for any reason, you can fill the position by appointment or election. Also, the slot does not automatically change if the president resigns or is removed. Think about it.

-Bob

Here's some other reasons to eliminate the IPP position -- probably a bylaw amendment..

In my personal view, setting up an "official" Immediate Past President (IPP) position is not a particularly good idea. The most telling argument is the real possibility of a close and bitter race for the presidency, with the current president running (for a second term) against an "outsider". And the outsider - the "reform candidate", perhaps - wins but is still stuck with the thorn of the IPP on the Board in a position to snipe at the new president. And perhaps attempt to undermine the new president's plans.

If the erstwhile president is a "good guy" the new president can (usually, depending on the bylaws) appoint him to a pre-existing committee - or even have him chair one, which might put him on the Board - as the new president sees fit. That way the IPP's experience and value can be put to good use, when needed, without the danger of setting up an adversarial situation which would require a bylaw amendment to get out of.

Here's some more reasons

1) The President resigns and wants nothing to do with the organization.

2) The President simply doesn't run for election again because he's had enough, and never shows up at a board meeting.

3) The President is booted out of office for being incompetent, or for something more nefarious.

4) The President dies.

5) The President resigns and moves (wants to help but isn't around).

6) Even worse is the bylaw assignment of the IPP to chair a committee - such as nominating. Then he dies/quits/leaves town, &c. You are then stuck with an unfillable (by definition) vacancy.

IF an organization really wants to keep the IPP on the Board for an additional term, the position could be an ex-officio position, thus meaning that the IPP does not have to attend. Or, depending on the By-laws or statute, the Board may be allowed to appoint non-voting Officers to the Board. Although the better option, as pointed out by others, would be to appoint a good IPP to a Committee (or better yet, have an Advisory Committee of so many past Officers and/or directors to advise the Committee on various issues.)

IF an organization really wants to keep the IPP on the Board for an additional term, the position could be an ex-officio position, thus meaning that the IPP does not have to attend.

That's not correct. Only in the case of the president being an ex-officio member of committees does his/her attendance not affect the quorum, unless the bylaws say otherwise.

The best situation is to have a board position that can only be held by a past president. Elect the past president you want to that position. If it becomes vacant due to any reason, you can then fill it. (KISS principle at work.)

-Bob

That's not correct. Only in the case of the president being an ex-officio member of committees does his/her attendance not affect the quorum, unless the bylaws say otherwise.

It it correct Bob - the organization has the right to make anyone they want an ex-officio member - I do not know of any rule in RONR that states a Board cannot do that.

It it correct Bob - the organization has the right to make anyone they want an ex-officio member - I do not know of any rule in RONR that states a Board cannot do that.

Of course they can, but in all cases except the president, who is expressly mentioned in RONR, all other ex-officio members would affect the quorum.

Curious - page 466, line 35ff? It seems some other ex-officios don't affect the quorum either. So what, in the point you're making, am I missing?

Those are essentially honorary positions for non-members of the society. I did not perceive this question to involve such seats. If I was mistaken, then the citation applies.

But in the case of members (or others "under the authority") of the society who are, ex-officio, members of boards or committees, only the president is exempt from the quorum consideration.

P.S. My point was in support of Mr. Fish's interpretation, in the face of Rev. Ed's objection.

Okay, basically the organization can make the IPP an ex-officio member. The By-law under which this would make it possible would also have to state specifically the lack of the IPP's presence at a meeting would not affect quorum.

In other words, I simply misunderstood what RONR stated, not that I was totally incorrect.

Okay, basically the organization can make the IPP an ex-officio member. The By-law under which this would make it possible would also have to state specifically the lack of the IPP's presence at a meeting would not affect quorum.

In other words, I simply misunderstood what RONR stated, not that I was totally incorrect.

I think you misunderstood what Mr. Fish stated, because he was correct in what he said.

But it is true that they can do this, and it's still bad idea.

I mean in general--it may be a very good idea for this particular individual to serve on the NomCom, but it would generally be a bad idea to amend the bylaws to make all future IPPs an automatic member of the committee--quorum requirements or no quorum requirements.

If an immediate past president resigns from a Board does he/she remain listed as the immediate past president or does that title fall to the previous immediate past president?

You may also find this previous thread instructive:

The basic conclusion, as I recall, was that the IPP can resign his/her duties and leave the board, but cannot stop being IPP. That is, if the person was a board member simply by virtue of being IPP, that board position cannot be filled by anyone else following the IPP's resignation from duty.

Archived