The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidential vote and approval of minutes

Guest P. Sterle

1.) Is the presiding officer able to vote when they feel strongly on a topic?

2.) In my organization the approval of minutes has become something no one pays attention too, we just automatically approve them. Can we just skip the approval and continue with the rest of the meeting?

2.) In my organization the approval of minutes has become something no one pays attention too, we just automatically approve them. Can we just skip the approval and continue with the rest of the meeting?

1. If by ballot, roll call, or there is a tie, yes; otherwise, no.

2. No.

1. The presiding officer is always able to vote whenever his/her vote would make any difference, so what's the problem? If that one vote could not make a difference, the presiding officer should not reveal any preference. There is more to be lost than gained by doing so.

2. Instead of skipping the approval, or approving them automatically, you should begin to pay attention to what the draft minutes say, to see if any corrections are required. That's kind of the point. And no, you can't skip them even if you want to.

See FAQ #1 if this is a large assembly or RONR, 10th ed., pg. 471, lines 7-11 if this is a small board or committee (about 12 members or fewer).

No, and you should really take the approval of the minutes more seriously, as the minutes are the official record of the assembly's actions.

I have a copy, in fact it is now within easy reach.

But that is not always the case, as I do not carry it everywhere I go.

"... as I do not carry it everywhere I go."

"Paging Mr. Tressor!" :)

Definition of VADE MECUM [Latin, "go with me"]

1: a book for ready reference : manual

2: something regularly carried about by a person

This lesson in Latin was brought to you by the letters "GcT". ;)

That's a nice hint, but we're not getting you a laptop for Christmas.

No no. I mean that I do have my laptop everywhere I go, and therefore do not need one for Christmas. But my copy of RONR has seen better days. I would have replaced it if it were not for the rumors of Eleven's imminent debut.

No no. I mean that I do have my laptop everywhere I go, and therefore do not need one for Christmas. But my copy of RONR has seen better days. I would have replaced it if it were not for the rumors of Eleven's imminent debut.

I cannot imagine anyone traveling withOUT his toothbrush and RONR. Unbelievable.

Archived