The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election

hknuttel

A error was made in saying that the outgoing president could not run for an elected office on the incoming board, so he/she withdrew their name from nomination. Since this was not true, can we continue on with that person on the ballot and just hold the election or do we have to re-open nominations and go from there?

A error was made in saying that the outgoing president could not run for an elected office on the incoming board, so he/she withdrew their name from nomination. Since this was not true, can we continue on with that person on the ballot and just hold the election or do we have to re-open nominations and go from there?

What are your rules for nomination?

Nothing in RONR would prevent you from keeping the name of an eligible nominee on the ballot. I see no need to re-open nominations though, of course, you're free to do so.

A person who voluntarily withdrew from nomination should not be listed on the ballot. Are you saying he/she has withdrawn his/her withdrawal, or are you doing this without the person's permission?

And don't you know whether he/she is a he or a she?

A person who voluntarily withdrew from nomination should not be listed on the ballot. Are you saying he/she has withdrawn his/her withdrawal, or are you doing this without the person's permission?

And don't you know whether he/she is a he or a she?

She withdrew her name from nomination because it was thought that she was still a part of the Board as an ex-officio member in her capacity as ex-president. Since this was incorrect, can't we just put her name back on the slate as being nominated?

She withdrew her name from nomination because it was thought that she was still a part of the Board as an ex-officio member in her capacity as ex-president. Since this was incorrect, can't we just put her name back on the slate as being nominated?

There is no "slate". If I were you I'd pretend she was never taken off the ballot. No harm, no foul.

Or just use blank pieces of paper for ballots.

Why would you want to? Although she's been the president, she doesn't even know who is, and who isn't, a member ex officio of the board. Doesn't that strike you as odd?

A error was made

Yes, I see it. :)

in saying that the outgoing president could not run for an elected office on the incoming board, so he/she withdrew their name from nomination. Since this was not true, can we continue on with that person on the ballot and just hold the election or do we have to re-open nominations and go from there?

It's not clear how all of this transpired, in a parliamentary sense. If a nomination is invalid, for whatever reason, there is no need to withdraw it, and the withdrawal would have no effect. So, it seems to me that if she withdrew from the election, misinformation couldn't logically be blamed as the culprit.

I think Mr Mountcastle's first reply (Post #3) says it all. (With one exception: it would be polite to ask the outgoing president whether she still wants to be a nominee, now that it has been determined that she is, indeed, allowed to be a nominee. I mean, ask her because she made a choice, even though it was based on misinformation -- so it should be she, and no one else, who decides whether she will be a nominee or not.)

Oh, and this might be dependent on the group's own rules, but I'm not sure I buy the reasoning in HelenMK's Post #5. HelenMK, are you sure this is true for your organization? 'Cause Robert's Rules says nothing of the kind.

Archived