The Official RONR Q & A Forums

nominations

Bob

The By-Laws specifically call for nominations from the floor at the annual meeting. The Chair called said that there would be no nomimations from the floor since the chair had told everyone prior to the annual meeting ( two weeks ahead) and that conuted as asking for nominations from the floor.

Sounds like it might be time for a new chair.

The By-Laws specifically call for nominations from the floor at the annual meeting. The Chair called said that there would be no nomimations from the floor since the chair had told everyone prior to the annual meeting ( two weeks ahead) and that conuted as asking for nominations from the floor.

The chairman is obligated under the rules to call for nominations from the floor at the annual meeting. If some nominations have been made earlier, he should first read the names of the candidates already nominated and ask if there are any further nominations. RONR (10th ed.), pp. 421, 422.

The By-Laws specifically call for nominations from the floor at the annual meeting. The Chair called said that there would be no nomimations from the floor since the chair had told everyone prior to the annual meeting ( two weeks ahead) and that counted as asking for nominations from the floor.

Nothing he did prior to the meeting can be considered a substitute for a specific bylaws requirement that nominations must be called for during the meeting.

In the short run, if he does not call for nominations from the floor, raise a Point of Order that this is a bylaws requirement, and cannot be suspended. If necessary, be prepared to Appeal an unfavorable ruling.

You could simply move to open nominations. This motion is in order at the meeting when the election will occur, and only requires a majority vote to pass, but I hesitate to recommend it because, even if it should fail, the bylaws still require it, so the matter is really not up for a vote. It's mandatory, even if everyone is against the idea.

Of course, if everyone is against the idea, nobody will make a nomination from the floor, so this becomes a distinction without a difference.

But what is completely improper is a chair who is derelict of his duty to enforce the bylaws. Chairs who declare their intent to violate the bylaws should probably be removed, sooner rather than later. (See FAQ #20)

I would be interested in any amplification on this that you could provide.

Well, I don't know that I'd be able to clearly identify it as a rule of order. If it dealt with the method of nominations, I'd agree, but protecting the right to have nominations at all is, I think, more in the nature of a guaranteed right. Something much closer to a requirement for a ballot vote.

If you would not go that far, fine, but I'm sure we'd agree that it's not "suspendable", or shall we say "ignorable", by any unilateral act of the chair.

Well, I don't know that I'd be able to clearly identify it as a rule of order. If it dealt with the method of nominations, I'd agree, but protecting the right to have nominations at all is, I think, more in the nature of a guaranteed right. Something much closer to a requirement for a ballot vote.

If you would not go that far, fine, but I'm sure we'd agree that it's not "suspendable", or shall we say "ignorable", by any unilateral act of the chair.

There's no doubt the chair can't do it unilaterally, however, when the vote is by ballot, nominations aren't even necessary since a member can write-in anyone's name. Rules relating to nominations, including having them to begin with, are clearly suspendable in almost every instance, especially when the vote is by ballot.

The wisdom of suspending rules relating to nominations is another matter.

If it dealt with the method of nominations, I'd agree, but protecting the right to have nominations at all is, I think, more in the nature of a guaranteed right. Something much closer to a requirement for a ballot vote.

I think that if the rule that calls for nominations from the floor at the annual meeting can be suspended, then I would hope it could only be suspended at the annual meeting, not at the previous meeting.

There's no doubt the chair can't do it unilaterally, however, when the vote is by ballot, nominations aren't even necessary since a member can write-in anyone's name. Rules relating to nominations, including having them to begin with, are clearly suspendable in almost every instance, especially when the vote is by ballot.

The wisdom of suspending rules relating to nominations is another matter.

I agree with George. In particular, the failure of the president to call for nominations from the floor would not invalidate the election.

But the right to make a nomination is a basic right that cannot be suspended.

Well, there is a distinction between the basic right of an individual member and the parliamentary right of members. I'm not claiming the basic right of an individual member to make a nomination is suspendable (except as a result of a disciplinary action or the operation of some rule in the bylaws); I'm saying the parliamentary right of members to make nominations is suspendable.

The case is similar to the right to debate. The adoption of the Previous Question suspends the parliamentary right of members to speak in debate, and a member who has yet to speak cannot exercise his basic right of an individual member to speak in debate on the question(s) affected by the order.

Well, there is a distinction between the basic right of an individual member and the parliamentary right of members. I'm not claiming the basic right of an individual member to make a nomination is suspendable (except as a result of a disciplinary action or the operation of some rule in the bylaws); I'm saying the parliamentary right of members to make nominations is suspendable.

The case is similar to the right to debate. The adoption of the Previous Question suspends the parliamentary right of members to speak in debate, and a member who has yet to speak cannot exercise his basic right of an individual member to speak in debate on the question(s) affected by the order.

Agreed.

I agree as well. Nominations may be closed by a two-thirds vote. I just get a little concerned about announcing ahead of time that they will not be permitted.

The point being that a Point of Order would have had to have been made at the time; and, none having been made, what was done stands.

The time is still in the future, from my understanding of the situation.

The president announced at a past meeting that nominations would not be allowed. But I believe that at the annual meeting, still to come, a Point of Order that nominations are in order--notwithstanding the chair's improper previous announcement, would be timely.

I'm saying the parliamentary right of members to make nominations is suspendable.

No can do. "In very large bodies, the formality of a motion to close nominations is sometimes allowed, but this motion is not in order until a reasonable opportunity to make nominations has been given; as noted above, it is out of order if a member is seeking the floor to make a further nomination, and it always requires a two-thirds vote."

RONR (10th ed.), p. 277, l. 8-13.

No can do. "In very large bodies, the formality of a motion to close nominations is sometimes allowed, but this motion is not in order until a reasonable opportunity to make nominations has been given; as noted above, it is out of order if a member is seeking the floor to make a further nomination, and it always requires a two-thirds vote."

That's assuming nominations are in progress. What about a motion to suspend the rules so as not to have them at all, which is what Rob and I were saying earlier?

That's assuming nominations are in progress. What about a motion to suspend the rules so as not to have them at all, which is what Rob and I were saying earlier?

I think the rule I quoted implies that when nominations are required, they can be omitted only by unanimous consent. A two-thirds vote to suspend the rules for this purpose would not be sufficient, because the rule that a reasonable opportunity to make nominations must be given protects a minority as small as one member.

I think the rule I quoted implies that when nominations are required, they can be omitted only by unanimous consent. A two-thirds vote to suspend the rules for this purpose would not be sufficient, because the rule that a reasonable opportunity to make nominations must be given protects a minority as small as one member.

I think it's clearly a suspendable rule of order only when, the vote is by ballot and write-in votes are permitted. At all other times I would agree with you.

Archived