The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting

Guest Howard

Roberts Rules? If a committee or board calls for a vote and calls "All in Favor?", but neglects to call "All opposed?", does that invalidate the vote if the motion is passed without an opportunity for No votes? My interpretation of the Rules says that it would invalidate the vote. Any ideas?

Roberts Rules? If a committee or board calls for a vote and calls "All in Favor?", but neglects to call "All opposed?", does that invalidate the vote if the motion is passed without an opportunity for No votes? My interpretation of the Rules says that it would invalidate the vote. Any ideas?

It would not invalidate the vote because a Point of Order needed to be timely. See RONR pp. 243-244.

If no member of the body demands the other side of the question be put, then the vote is valid, and the result stands. RONR (10th ed.), p. 43, ll. 15-20. But, see further on about instances where it is irrelevant to put the other side.

No it would not. If nobody raised a point of order at the time, the vote stands.

But if you have a chair who routinely fails to call for the negative vote, this should be dealt with. It is one of the warning signs of a poor presiding officer.

Still, rules don't enforce themselves. You have to be prepared to raise a point of order when it will still do some good.

Archived