The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motiion of no confidence

gregory

Can anyone offer me additional details regarding a motion of no confidense,

I'm not sure if it's actually something "directly" spoken about in RONR.

If not, is there any reason why a motion of no confidence can not be made?

Nothing in our Union Charter speaks to it either...?

See http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#7

Someday I want to be at a meeting where a motion of no confidence is made, and ends up amended and adopted as a motion of "complete" confidence.

But what if that motion as amended to read a motion of complete confidense did not pass?

That would have to mean that the membership had something "less than" complete confidense.

Which of course would achieve the goal somewhat closer to "no confidense".

But what if that motion as amended to read a motion of complete confidense did not pass?

That would have to mean that the membership had something "less than" complete confidense.

Which of course would achieve the goal somewhat closer to "no confidense".

Not really, but if they have the votes to adopt the amendment, chances are good they'll have the vote to adopt the motion, as amended.

But what if that motion as amended to read a motion of complete confidence did not pass?

That would have to mean that the membership had something "less than" complete confidence.

Which of course would achieve the goal somewhat closer to "no confidence".

Seems to me a motion of "complete confidence" ought to pass by unanimous consent. :)

But who wants to receive "the muted confidence of a scant majority of those present, sober, conscious, and voting"?

Seems to me a motion of "complete confidence" ought to pass by unanimous consent. :)

But who wants to receive "the muted confidence of a scant majority of those present, sober, conscious, and voting"?

Just like I would think that a vote of no confidence would need to have everyone vote in favor of it. If someone votes against the motion then it can't truly be called a vote of no confidence because someone there does have confidence. ;)

Just like I would think that a vote of no confidence would need to have everyone vote in favor of it. If someone votes against the motion then it can't truly be called a vote of no confidence because someone there does have confidence. ;)

The motion is that the assembly has no confidence in the officer, not that all the members have confidence or not.

Archived