The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Time for a second

Guest David

Once a motion has been made on an issue, what is a fair amount of time to wait before calling the motion dead due to a lack of a second.

Question 2 - Once the chair has declared a motion dead, if someone then offers a second, is the motion still dead or can it be considered?

The person seconding a motion does not need to seek recognition from the chairman to second the motion. He/she just calls out, "Second." The chairman may pause a brief time lookng for a second before ruling that the motion fails for lack of a second. Such a motion can be introduced later in the meeting as it never came before the assembly the first time.

A good part of preplanning a motion is to have someone ready to second the motion.

-Bob

The person seconding a motion does not need to seek recognition from the chairman to second the motion. He/she just calls out, "Second." The chairman may pause a brief time lookng for a second before ruling that the motion fails for lack of a second. Such a motion can be introduced later in the meeting as it never came before the assembly the first time.

Say the motion in question is an amendment to the bylaws or some other type of motion that requires previous notice. Would the members still get a second chance at considering the motion even though it had died for the lack of a second earlier in the meeting? I would think so but I am not 100% certain.

Say the motion in question is an amendment to the bylaws or some other type of motion that requires previous notice. Would the members still get a second chance at considering the motion even though it had died for the lack of a second earlier in the meeting? I would think so but I am not 100% certain.

Assuming it even required a second (meaning it didn't come from the bylaws committee), absolutely. To say otherwise means the death for lack of a second has the same effect as postpone indefinitely.

Assuming it even required a second (meaning it didn't come from the bylaws committee), absolutely. To say otherwise means the death for lack of a second has the same effect as postpone indefinitely.

But the notice question does raise an interesting point. Once the motion is made and dies for lack of a second, is the notice still in effect, or can someone who is opposed to the motion safely get up and go home, secure in the knowledge that the motion is dead? I think not.

I believe the notice is in effect for the entire meeting, so that if the motion is renewed later in the meeting it would be in order, as it is still covered by the previous notice.

But the notice question does raise an interesting point. Once the motion is made and dies for lack of a second, is the notice still in effect, or can someone who is opposed to the motion safely get up and go home, secure in the knowledge that the motion is dead? I think not.

I believe the notice is in effect for the entire meeting, so that if the motion is renewed later in the meeting it would be in order, as it is still covered by the previous notice.

The renewal of the motion would, indeed, be in order.

But the notice question does raise an interesting point. Once the motion is made and dies for lack of a second, is the notice still in effect,

The giving of notice is something that is DONE, which cannot be undone. When a motion requiring notice is made, a simple question is posed: was notice given? If the answer is yes, the motion is in order; if the answer is no, the motion is not in order.

or can someone who is opposed to the motion safely get up and go home, secure in the knowledge that the motion is dead? I think not.

They can be secure in the knowledge that notice has been given and the motion will be in order as a result.

If the bylaws state that they can only be amended on Thursday, a motion dying for lack of a second would not change the day... nor would it change the fact that notice has been given.

I would think that any perceived "time limit" on the notice would have to coincide with the convening and adjournment of the meeting. One could never be too sure at what exact time the motion might be brought up in business. I suspect the rules could be suspended to move it ahead in the agenda as well. Even if the motion had come to a vote and was defeated, perhaps it could still be Reconsidered later in the meeting, despite what a member might think of regarding the motion being "dead." I'd think it's only safe to get up and go home as the words "the meeting is adjourned" are but only faint echo in the meeting hall.

Once a motion has been made on an issue, what is a fair amount of time to wait before calling the motion dead due to a lack of a second.

Question 2 - Once the chair has declared a motion dead, if someone then offers a second, is the motion still dead or can it be considered?

Whatever is rational.

In a CONVENTION, you may have to wait 10 seconds, for the clarity of the motion, or the clarity of the chair's statement, to be heard, plus enough seconds for one of a thousand people to speak up loud enough to be heard, or to reach the microphone.

In a small club, in a modest sized room, all you need is 3 seconds, or 3 heart-beats.

There is no noise, no distraction, no way to be smothered or muffled.

"If no member seconds the motion, the chair must be sure that all have heard it before proceeding to other business. In such a case the chair normally asks, "Is there a second to the motion?" In a large hall he may repeat the motion before doing so....... If there is still no second, the chair says, "The motion [or "resolution"] is not seconded".... The he immediately says "The next item of business is....." (p. 34 ll. 12-25)

I'd say we're looking at about 10 seconds or so, depending on if he decides to repeat the motion and how long that might take.

Archived