The Official RONR Q & A Forums

1 person with 2 positions

Guest vcoupon

Are you able to tell me where in Roberts' Rule of Order that would be found?? I need to present it to our board because they feel I have too much "power" with 2 positions.

Just assure them that you'll only cast a single vote. The right to vote is attached to membership not office-holding. You can vote because you're a member. And, because you're only one member, you only get one vote.

And note that since your executive committee is, in a sense, one member "short", it might make obtaining a quorum a bit more difficult.

Can the vice president also hold the office of Parliamentarian? And if so.....Since the vice president has the right to vote and the parliamentarian does not have the right to vote, how is that person accountable in the voting process?

For future reference, this forum works best if you post your new question as a new topic, even if a similar topic exists.

The member-parliamentarian should obey the restrictions on that office, regardless of any other office he may hold. And note that the member-parliamentarian does have the right to vote, as do all members, he just agrees not to exercise that right in most (but not all) circumstances.

Can the vice president also hold the office of Parliamentarian?

Nothing in RONR would prohibit it, although it may not be the best idea, for several reasons.

Since the vice president has the right to vote and the parliamentarian does not have the right to vote, how is that person accountable in the voting process?

Well, it's not quite correct that a member Parliamentarian does not have the right to vote (unless your Bylaws state that). All members retain the right to vote unless that right is stripped through disciplinary procedures or through a provision in the Bylaws. The Parliamentarian, however, should not vote unless the vote is taken by ballot, in order to maintain impartiality. The VP should be willing to abide by these restrictions if he wishes to serve as Parliamentarian.

• 4 years later...

If a member holds the position of Secretary, but has offered to serve as Parliamentarian (she is a registered Parliamentarian also) can she? We have nothing in our bylaws that says a person can't hold more then one office. 

This topic is more than four years old. Please post your question as a new topic. This forum works best that way, Click here for more information.

This topic is more than four years old. Please post your question as a new topic. This forum works best that way, Click here for more information.

Consider the bright side.  I got to see Tim Wynn's mugshot and post, and a post from David Foulkes and that most excellent Mountcastle fellow who went m.i.a. some time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived