The Official RONR Q & A Forums

VP does not want President

Guest CuriousCat

If a President resigns and the VP doesn't want the presidency, but the secretary does, do we need an election or does the secretary automatically inherit the presidency?

As far as RONR is concerned, as soon as the President's resignation is accepted, the Vice-President automatically becomes the President, and under no circumstances does the secretary automatically inherit the presidency.

...or whatever George just said.

Follow whatever rule are in your bylaws for filling vacancies. The assembly can elect someone to preside at each meeting until the positions are filled.

Unfortunately our bylaws do not cover this situation. It's good to know we can still conduct meetings while waiting for the positions to be filled, probably by an election.

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread.

Under the rules in RONR the VP is the President the instant the President's resignation is properly accepted. The new President will have to resign if he doesn't want the job, but he won't automatically go back to the VP spot.

Elect a VP willing to ascend next time.

I agree with George, but I would add that the new president's refusal without good cause to serve the remainder of the term is tantamount to dereliction of duty.

So what happens if the President resigns, the VP doesn't want the presidency, and so also resigns.

Then there is no Pres and no VP.

Now what?

At each meeting until the spots are filled, the secretary should call the meeting to order and preside until the immediate election of a temporary chair. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 443, l. 23-25.

At each meeting until the spots are filled, the secretary should call the meeting to order and preside until the immediate election of a temporary chair. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 443, l. 23-25.

...Though I would consider not allowing the current President to leave the organization high and dry like that and not accept his resignation until the vacancy in the office of VP has been filled by someone who is willing to serve as President. I would especially consider this if the President has extra-meeting duties (which a Chair pro tem cannot perform).

...Though I would consider not allowing the current President to leave the organization high and dry like that and not accept his resignation until the vacancy in the office of VP has been filled by someone who is willing to serve as President. I would especially consider this if the President has extra-meeting duties (which a Chair pro tem cannot perform).

I would worry that a former VP who has no desire to preside would, quite frankly, do an incredibly horrible job at it. Though, it could be those administrative duties you mention that have scared him away from the position.

...Though I would consider not allowing the current President to leave the organization high and dry like that and not accept his resignation until the vacancy in the office of VP has been filled by someone who is willing to serve as President.

Of course, there won't be a vacancy in the VP to fill until the President's resignation is accepted, so Catch-22.;)

Archived