The Official RONR Q & A Forums

amending a amendment

gregory

Hi All,

I submitted a bylaw amendment this morning where I

also submitted an amendment to the same bylaw amendment,

that said. I move to amend the previous amendment to add, the vote will be by secret ballot.

I was told by the Recording Secretary, that RONR does not allow the maker to amend his own amendment. I verified it does say something similar to this on page 125 Line 20.

My question to you pros out there is this, don't bylaws over rule RONR or since the bylaw amendment is NOT a bylaw YET, (still pending) must it be subject to RONR?

Hi All,

I submitted a bylaw amendment this morning where I

also submitted an amendment to the same bylaw amendment,

that said. I move to amend the previous amendment to add, the vote will be by secret ballot.

I was told by the Recording Secretary, that RONR does not allow the maker to amend his own amendment. I verified it does say something similar to this on page 125 Line 20.

My question to you pros out there is this, don't bylaws over rule RONR or since the bylaw amendment is NOT a bylaw YET, (still pending) must it be subject to RONR?

A motion to take the vote by ballot is an incidental motion, not an amendment. When your bylaw amendment is brought up (or was brought up) for consideration at a meeting, any member, including you, can move (or could have moved) that the vote on it be taken by ballot.

A motion to take the vote by ballot is an incidental motion, not an amendment. When your bylaw amendment is brought up (or was brought up) for consideration at a meeting, any member, including you, can move (or could have moved) that the vote on it be taken by ballot.

It is also in order to make this kind of motion as a preliminary main motion when no other question is pending. See RONR (10th ed.), tinted pp. 29, 29, motion 85.

What about page 125 Line 20, where it say the maker of the motion can not amend his own motion, only the assembly can do that??

It means that once the motion has been stated, the maker of the motion cannot unilaterally amend it. He cannot, after debate, say "Oh I'd like to change my motion" - he has to make a motion to Amend the main motion just as any other member would.

What about page 125 Line 20, where it say the maker of the motion can not amend his own motion, only the assembly can do that??

Once a motion has been stated by the chair, unanimous consent is required to grant leave to the maker to change the pending motion. However, nothing on p. 125 (or anywhere else, for that matter) limits the basic right of an individual member to offer (make a motion) a secondary amendment to a primary amendment that he previously offered.

I was told by the Recording Secretary, that RONR does not allow the maker to amend his own amendment.

Well, the Recording Secretary was wrong. Now, there is a restriction that a member may not speak against his own motion in debate. But he can still vote against it, and he can certainly offer any amendments to it that any other member can. And as has been mentioned, an incidental motion to set the method of voting isn't an amendment at all.

And why is the Recording Secretary ruling on what's in order and what's not? Where was the chair when all this was going on?

Bylaws do overrule RONR, but as you correctly note, this rule isn't part of the Bylaws yet. Rules don't take effect until they are adopted.

Archived