The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Long membership meeting

gregory

We have 125 bylaw amendments pending and to be voted on at our

next membership meetings.

We have no parliamentarian present at our meetings. So what would

you Parliamentarians suggest to allow and ensure that all members

are ensured equal rights in the voting process on all 125 bylaw amendments.

Some of the bylaw amendments request a secret ballot vote, some don't.

The call to the meeting is one hour earlier than normal.

All suggesstions considered?

125 amendments??? Wow, that is a lot of amendments. Assuming that the notice hasn't been sent out yet I would suggest that a revision of the bylaws be offered (instead of individual amendments being considered a substitution of the entire document-with any changes desired- would be open to amendment). See RONR/10 pp. 573-580 regarding the amendment of bylaws and pp. 574-575 specifically regarding isolated changes vs a general revision. If you have the 11th Edition (which came out about a week and a half ago) stay tuned for the corresponding pages in RONR/11 (my copy is supposed to arrive sometime today).

If you have the 11th Edition (which came out about a week and a half ago) stay tuned for the corresponding pages in RONR/11 (my copy is supposed to arrive sometime today).

p. 592-599. :)

So what would you Parliamentarians suggest to allow and ensure that all members

I'd lay in a supply of canned goods and bottled water. And don't forget the can opener.

I'd group them together. Just from the sound of it there would likely be similar amendments. For example, if you want to change the By-law for the number of directors (say from 5 to 7), other By-laws might need to be amended to either mention "seven directors" (or better yet to "the directors" or "the Board"). If possible, I would try that.

gregory, I would advice having a few patient, experienced, and respected members read RONR - In Brief a few times, and be prepared to help the chairman when he asks, even in "break-out groups" if necessary. And, critically, have the chairman be well-prepared.

And a (somewhat self-serving) suggestion (but not for me, I live on the East coast):

If you anticipate that you might

have continuing parliamentary

difficulties or problems you

might want to get in touch with

a real live professional

parliamentarian in your area

(not virtual ones like us)

for consultations.

Contact either (or both) the ...

National Association of Parliamentarians

213 South Main St.

Independence, MO 64050-3850

Phone: 888-627-2929

Fax: 816-833-3893;

e-mail: hq@NAP2.org

<<www.parliamentarians.org>>

or

American Institute of Parliamentarians

550M Ritchie Highway #271

Severna Park, MD 21146

Phone: 888-664-0428

Fax: 410-544-4640

e-mail: aip@aipparl.org

<<www.aipparl.org>>

for a reference or information.

JD,

It might amuse you to know that one of the 125 bylaw amendments pending is to require

a Professional Registered Parliamentarian assist the President as Chair in all membership

meetings. The reason I submitted this Bylaw Amendment is because of this forum and the

feed back I've gotten here from you and people like you. This forum WORKS

Here it is:

Bylaw amendment 47. Greg Hofer made a motion to amend Article V

to add a new section, "Local 556 will employ a non member Independent

Professional Parliamentarian not affiliated with Local XXX to be available

at Membership Meetings to assist the Chair and the Membership as allowed

per our Parliamentary Authority." XXX seconded the motion.

Also, I think the group should plan ahead, in case there just isn't time to finish adequate consideration of those 125 changes -- i.e. be prepared to fix a time (and place) to which to adjourn the meeting, should it come to that. Depending on what is being amended, and how the members deal with the various proposed amendments, it may not be possible to wrap it up in the planned time (even if that time is an hour longer than usual).

It might amuse you to know that one of the 125 bylaw amendments pending is to require a Professional Registered Parliamentarian assist the President as Chair in all membership

meetings.

And yet the word "Registered" does not appear in the proposed amendment (47). And did you intend to rule out Certified (AIP) Parliamentarians?

I agreed with Dan H., for a number of reasons. Perhaps "learned in parliamentary procedure" might even be better.

And I'm sure that you will also agree that the important thing for gregory to do in drafting any bylaw provision on this subject is to carefully take into consideration what RONR says (RONR, 11th ed., pp. 465-67) about the appointment and duties of a parliamentarian.

By the way, I suppose that, by definition, a parliamentarian is supposed to be someone who is learned in parliamentary procedure. :)

And I'm sure that you will also agree that the important thing for gregory to do in drafting any bylaw provision on this subject is to carefully take into consideration what RONR says (RONR, 11th ed., pp. 465-67) about the appointment and duties of a parliamentarian.

He should, but the bylaw will supersede that, if adopted.

By the way, I suppose that, by definition, a parliamentarian is supposed to be someone who is learned in parliamentary procedure. :)

I would say that this definition does not exist in reality (though it would be nice if it did). :)

All that said, while I certainly think that a parliamentarian may be useful to an assembly, I would think it unwise to mandate the use of a parliamentarian, and the requirement a particular credential within that mandate. That stand does fatten my wallet any, but I believe it is the wiser stand.

However, if included in the bylaws, a requirement for the presence of a professional parliamentarian would certainly be a "suspendable rule of order" if it was thought unnecessary to have one there for a particular (presumed to be) harmonious meeting.

What could be more conducive "to the orderly transaction of business in meetings" than having a pro parliamentarian at the meeting -- RONR p.[15 / 15]* ?

We have 125 bylaw amendments pending and to be voted on at our

next membership meetings.

We have no parliamentarian present at our meetings. So what would

you Parliamentarians suggest to allow and ensure that all members

Some of the bylaw amendments request a secret ballot vote, some don't.

The call to the meeting is one hour earlier than normal.

All suggesstions considered?

Much of the heavy lifting can be done in committees, which, because of their smaller sizes, are better able to do much of the work in less time.

Archived