The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote in minutes without roll call

Trustee

Our bylaws do not currently define the specific less-than-majority vote needed to order a roll call vote. Unfortunately, this leaves us with a majority requirement, useless for its intended purpose. In the absence of a roll call vote, can I get my vote on a motion entered into the minutes? (I anticipate an imminent controversial motion which I strongly oppose, but which may well pass with a slight majority.) I'd like my nay vote to be public. Thank you.

Our bylaws do not currently define the specific less-than-majority vote needed to order a roll call vote. Unfortunately, this leaves us with a majority requirement, useless for its intended purpose. In the absence of a roll call vote, can I get my vote on a motion entered into the minutes? (I anticipate an imminent controversial motion which I strongly oppose, but which may well pass with a slight majority.) I'd like my nay vote to be public. Thank you.

Not without an action of the assembly to order it entered into the minutes.

Thanks for the replies! Something interesting has occurred to me. As I infer, I could make a motion that "The vote of {my name} opposing the motion concerning {controversial topic} will be included in the minutes.” After it was seconded and voted on, even if defeated, the motion itself (with my opposition to the controvery) would be entered into the minutes as a defeated motion, fulfilling my intent!

In reality, I will simply try to modify the bylaws to include a provision for roll call voting. This is just of an intriguing conclusion. Opinions?!

As I infer, I could make a motion that "The vote of {my name} opposing the motion concerning {controversial topic} will be included in the minutes.” After it was seconded and voted on, even if defeated, the motion itself (with my opposition to the controvery) would be entered into the minutes as a defeated motion, fulfilling my intent!

You could do that but I seem to recall that the opinion around here is that the assembly could reject the motion and then Suspend the Rules to prevent it from ending up in the minutes.

You don't need to modify your bylaws to provide for roll call voting if RONR is your parliamentary authority because that provision is already available through a motion to take any particular vote by roll call. However, if you want to modify the default of a required second and a majority vote to order a roll call vote you could accomplish that with a special rule of order.

I would try to channel Rob and talk about how such a request is dilatory and should be ruled out of order but my tuner is out of whack right now so I am not able to channel him. <_<

Actually, I am genuinely not trying to "obstruct business" of the assembly. However, I will certainly consider the possible appearance of such. Thanks for the viewpoint.

Archived