The Official RONR Q & A Forums

abstaining from a vote

Guest Phil

when unanimous consent is required for passing a motion can member abstain from voting merely because they do not have strong opposition or favor for the motion, and if abstaining from a vote is allowed is it still considered to be a unanimous Vote?

when unanimous consent is required for passing a motion can member abstain from voting merely because they do not have strong opposition or favor for the motion, and if abstaining from a vote is allowed is it still considered to be a unanimous Vote?

It would not effect unanimous consent, which requires an objection (pp. 54-5, especially p. 55, ll. 5-8).

Clearly, a vote where there is no member opposed to the motion, the vote is unanimous. The members may not be unanimous in their support.

It would not effect unanimous consent, which requires an objection (pp. 54-5, especially p. 55, ll. 5-8).

Clearly, a vote where there is no member opposed to the motion, the vote is unanimous. The members may not be unanimous in their support.

In this case, the difference between effecting unanimous consent, and affecting [the word I think you meant to use] unanimous consent, is a pretty significant one.

"According to RONR, abstaining is allowed. However, it sounds like the organization has its own rules if a motion has to be approved through unanimous consent."

Would you provide the specific page(s) reference for the allowable circumstances for "abstaining." Thanks You.

when unanimous consent is required for passing a motion....

Sez who?

.... unanimous consent .... unanimous Vote?

These are two different concepts. Which is it? For unanimous consent, there would be no vote, and thus no abstaining. So we're left to assume you really mean "when a unanimous vote is required for passing a motion..." And so, where does this requirement come from?

I thought abstention is the same as a no vote? Am I wrong in this understanding? If I am wrong, then our assembly has been doing things wrong for awhile. (in the past an abstention is counted as a "no" vote).

Only throwing this question in so I can get this clarified for future reference. Thanks

In this case, the difference between effecting unanimous consent, and affecting [the word I think you meant to use] unanimous consent, is a pretty significant one.

And you're picking on that word because the rest of the sentence makes perfect sense. :)

Archived