The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chairperson appointment

Apadana

The Chairman, and the members, can be selected anyway the organization desires.  For example, the President can choose the Chairman (either a member of the Committee, or in addition to the members of the Committee), or the Board can choose the Chairman, or the Committee can select its own Chairman, or the general membership can choose.

The easiest way would be to decide who shall appoint the Committee members and let that person (or group) decide upon who the Chairman will be.

The board shall appoint the chairperson; in lieu of this, the committee members will select the chairperson.

It is fuzzy already! :(

You will eventually run into a case where:

The committee wishes to invoke the "in lieu of" clause,

to override the board's choice of chairman.

What will you do then?

Q. Who's chairman is the "real" chairman? -- The board's choice, or the committee's choice?

Since you are drafting the rule fresh, then you will have to make a philosophical decision.

Do you want one party (board vs. committee) to have priority over the other party on this choice?

Tip:

I think you should re-think the phrase "in lieu of".

That phrase does not tell the reader how to invoke the rule properly.

The "in lieu" was someone else's suggestion and I wasn't comfortable with it and that's why I'm asking for help.  We want to make it where the board gets to first appoint the chairperson and if they don't for whatever reason then the committee gets to select the chairperson. Does this make sense?

It basically comes down to either one or the other really.  Just make the Board responsible or make the Committee responsible.  If the Board is made responsible, then they should do so.  Otherwise, at each meeting the Committee could simply appoint a Chairman pro tem.

We want to make it where

the board gets to first appoint the chairperson

and if they don't for whatever reason

then the committee gets to select the chairperson.

So, you want the rule to be triggered ONLY IF the board fails to act.

Try this:

The committee members elect a chairman of the committee

if the board has not named a chairman.

Kim,

The "in lieu" was someone else's suggestion and I wasn't comfortable with it and that's why I'm asking for help.  We want to make it where the board gets to first appoint the chairperson and if they don't for whatever reason then the committee gets to select the chairperson. Does this make sense?

You can come up language which accomplished that purpose.  Just off the top of my head.... which is always dangerous as such things as bylaw language need to be given a lot of thought...  I'm thinking of something along the lines of, "The Board shall appoint the chairman of the Halloween party committee.  However, if the board fails to make the appointment prior to the first meeting of the committee, the committee may elect its chairman from among its members."  

Not perfect, but you can use it for starters. 

• 2 weeks later...

If a person is suspended due to a violation of our company bylaws can that person run for office.  The suspension time is during nominations and elections.   Our bylaws state when a person is suspended they are suspended from all duties (fire duties, membership duties) and firecompany grounds.

If a person is suspended due to a violation of our company bylaws can that person run for office.  The suspension time is during nominations and elections.   Our bylaws state when a person is suspended they are suspended from all duties (fire duties, membership duties) and firecompany grounds.

It's best to ask new questions in New Topic

Archived