The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting in Exec Session

monty

Citing the opinion of an attorney for another board on which he sits, a fellow board member of our board insists that no votes per RONR can be taken while a board is in executive session - and the prohibition does not involve a special rule or bylaws requirement of the other organization.  My friend insists that the board must come out of exec. session before any vote(s) may be taken, which, to me, seems to defeat the purpose of why a body enters exec. session in the first place.  I am fairly familiar with the current and previous editions of RONR, and have never heard of this prohibition, nor can I can find this particular rule in RONR, 11th Ed.  I've asked thrice for the specific cite, but have not received it.  For my own edification, does such a requirement exist in RONR?  Thank you in advance for your courtesy of a reply.

Citing the opinion of an attorney for another board on which he sits, a fellow board member of our board insists that no votes per RONR can be taken while a board is in executive session - and the prohibition does not involve a special rule or bylaws requirement of the other organization.  My friend insists that the board must come out of exec. session before any vote(s) may be taken, which, to me, seems to defeat the purpose of why a body enters exec. session in the first place.  I am fairly familiar with the current and previous editions of RONR, and have never heard of this prohibition, nor can I can find this particular rule in RONR, 11th Ed.  I've asked thrice for the specific cite, but have not received it.  For my own edification, does such a requirement exist in RONR?  Thank you in advance for your courtesy of a reply.

No.

No.

Agreeing completely with my friend George Mervosh, I will add that the attorney might be confusing the rules (or lack of rules) in RONR re voting in executive session with the rules contained in many state open meetings (sunshine) laws that prohibit governmental bodies such as city councils and school boards from voting in executive session.

Agreeing completely with my friend George Mervosh, I will add that the attorney might be confusing the rules (or lack of rules) in RONR re voting in executive session with the rules contained in many state open meetings (sunshine) laws that prohibit governmental bodies such as city councils and school boards from voting in executive session.

And depending on the jurisdiction, some of those don't even prohibit votes in executive session, although they might restrict the practice to certain matters only.

Archived