The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Role of a Board President

Learnthebod

PRESIDENT. The President shall preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors and have general charge and supervision of the Corporation. The President shall work with the officers, directors and staff, if any, to ensure that the Corporation complies with State and federal mandates, including those described in Articles VII and VIII, and the association documents as defined in Article I. The President shall perform such other duties as are incident to the office or are required by the Board.

Our President and I have different interpretation to this description. The president views this as the authority to go into Office Manager's financial reports and adjust or reformat spreadsheets without permission from anyone. The President concludes that she is the boss of a company and is able to do as she sees fit. I see it as the president oversees the legal aspects of the association. If any changes or adjustments need to be made to any office or staff procedures or documents should be brought to the board and approved before any such changes are made. The business office reports to the Board. How do you interpret the description of President.

PRESIDENT. The President shall preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors and have general charge and supervision of the Corporation

Our President and I have different interpretation to this description.

It's not surprising that there would be different interpretations, nor that there would be one that reads this as giving the president extensive powers.  But what it really means is for your organization to decide.

I am an office assistant and feel I have no see in the discrepancies I see or have experienced. How do I bring this before the board? Or can I voice my concerns somehow?

Contact a sympathetic board member and ask him to ask the board to give you permission to speak at a board meeting. Or you could write a letter to the board.

Are you a member of the organization or just an employee? If you're a member you could take your case to the general membership. If you're not a member you have no parliamentary rights. If you're only an employee your problem is not parliamentary.

Thank you so much for you comments. I have much to learn about board proceedings, bylaws, and Roberts Rules. A seasoned former board member mentioned getting familiar with Robert's Rules. So am doing so now and may be asking more questions as I go through the learning process. Again thank you all so much for your valuable input.

Our President and I have different interpretation to this description.

You should be aware that neither the president's interpretation nor yours is the one that matters here. Whoever has the power to amend the bylaws also the authority to interpret their meaning. If that entity is the board, then someone who is a board member can raise the issue for a definitive answer to the meaning of this section of the bylaws. If you have a general membership with the power to amend the bylaws, then the issue will have to be settled by them.

Archived