The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Establishing a quorum

Guest Guy Savard

Our organization has 300 plus members with a 15 member executive.  Attendance at our meetings varies from 25 to 40 including the 15 executive members.  Is there a basic rule or formula (e.g. percentage\) in establishing a quorum?  

RONR says:

"There is no single number or percentage of members that will be equally suitable as a quorum in all societies. The quorum should be as large a number of members as can reasonably be depended on to be present at any meeting, except in very bad weather or other exceptionally unfavorable conditions." (RONR 11th ed., p. 346, ll. 26-31)

Our organization has 300 plus members with a 15 member executive [board].  Attendance at our meetings varies from 25 to 40 including the 15 executive [board] members.  Is there a basic rule or formula (e.g. percentage\) in establishing a quorum?  

Well, one rule is that only members of the body that is meeting count towards the quorum. So, at a meeting of the general membership, you'd need a certain number of general members (regardless of how many, if any, executive board members might be present). Similarly, at a meeting of the executive board, you'd need a certain number of executive board members. Of course the quorum requirement can be (and probably should be) different for each body.

Our organization has 300 plus members with a 15 member executive.  Attendance at our meetings varies from 25 to 40 including the 15 executive members.  Is there a basic rule or formula (e.g. percentage\) in establishing a quorum?  

If the bylaws do not establish a quorum, you're in serious trouble, since the quorum would be a majority of the membership. This would be somewhere in excess of 150 (I can't give an exact number since you say the organization has "300 plus" members). You might need to work very hard to get a quorum (free food is a good start), and the first thing you should do when you get a quorum is to amend the bylaws to establish a much lower quorum. Based on the attendance numbers you've provided, it seems like you'd want to set it at around 25.

Please don't use the word "executive" alone, as a noun, when describing a body made up of more than one person.  In this case, because you referred to a "15 member executive", we can figure out that you are talking about either an executive board or an executive committee.

But when people post on here that their "executive" did such and such, at least a couple of us want to scream at our computers:  EXECUTIVE WHAT???  Executive Director??  Executive Secretary?  Executive Chef?  Chief Executive Officer?  Executive V.P.?  Executive Board?  Executive Committee? 

And when you refer to "the 15 executive members":  Do you have a special type of membership known as "executive member", sort of like a "super member" with special privileges?    Like the opposite of an "associate member"?    Or are you referring to "the 15 members of your executive board"?

When used to refer to a board or committee of some sort, the word "executive" is used as an adjective to describe a type of board or committee.... not as a noun to describe one official.   It can be very confusing when you refer to your "Executive".

Rant over.  For now.  :)

Well, one rule is that only members of the body that is meeting count towards the quorum. So, at a meeting of the general membership, you'd need a certain number of general members (regardless of how many, if any, executive board members might be present). Similarly, at a meeting of the executive board, you'd need a certain number of executive board members. Of course the quorum requirement can be (and probably should be) different for each body.

Do you maybe want to try that again?    I don't think you meant to say what I think you said.   I hope you aren't saying that board members.... if they are also regular members, as they almost certainly are.... don't count toward the quorum?     Now, if the board members are not members of the society, then they won't count, but I bet they are members.

The board... as a board... is not present during a general membership meeting, but the board members almost certainly are.  Well, in at least 99  out of  100 cases.  Maybe 999 out of 1,000.  Right?  :)

So, at a meeting of the general membership, you'd need a certain number of general members (regardless of how many, if any, executive board members might be present). 

Do you maybe want to try that again?    I don't think you meant to say what I think you said.   I hope you aren't saying that board members.... if they are also regular members, as they almost certainly are.... don't count toward the quorum?     Now, if the board members are not members of the society, then they won't count, but I bet they are members.

I'm not saying (and I don't think I did say) that regular members who are also board members don't count toward the quorum at a meeting of the general membership. I'm saying that the fact that they're board members is irrelevant. 

All of your feedback is very helpful and most appreciated.  This is my first time posting something and I am very impressed.  It will surely encourage me to become a member and not only a "guest".   Thanks and, as we would say in the NAVY,  BRAVO ZULU (Well Done).  Guy

Archived