The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the chair contact a member after a member votes to abstain on a vote to ask why

Guest Diane

Called? As in by phone outside of a meeting? If so, definitely not a RONR issue.

Well, officers can be subject to disciplinary sanctions for actions taken outside of a meeting.

If this president has a habit of calling members to question their votes (or lack thereof) it may be time for a new president.

Depending on how this was done as well as the nature of the matter being voted on, I see no problem with it. As far as I know, it is perfectly acceptable (as well as commonly done) for Board members and officers to discuss (and lobby for or against) matters that come up at Board meetings, AS LONG AS THERE ARE NOT PROHIBITIONS AGAINST DOING SO.

To Mr. Guest, post number 5 above: So an officer who takes action (stating that this is a Board-approved action) based on telephone conversations, emails, faxes, etc. or any other kind  of communications received, outside of a meeting allowing for discussion and debate, can be sanctioned? Is this correct?

To Mr. Guest, post number 5 above: So an officer who takes action (stating that this is a Board-approved action) based on telephone conversations, emails, faxes, etc. or any other kind  of communications received, outside of a meeting allowing for discussion and debate, can be sanctioned? Is this correct?

My point, in response to Mr. Church's comment that this is "definitely not a RONR issue", was that the fact that the president's actions took place outside the context of a meeting doesn't make him immune from the disciplinary sanctions provided for in RONR.

Of course it's quite possible, perhaps even likely, that this president was simply curious as to why this member chose not to vote. But it's also possible, if unlikely, that this president has a habit of intimidating members by calling them at 3:00 in the morning to harass them for voting (or not voting) the wrong way.

Mr. Guest's correction is spot on and much appreciated.  I was only thinking of a casual "hey, how come you didn't vote?" kind of thing and didn't choose my words well, for sure.

But post #8 seems to be taking off in a different direction - an officer taking action without proper authorization. That's quite a different scenario than the chair making a casual phone call or potentially harassing others.

Archived