The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Membership rights during a meeting

Renee

Good Afternoon,

Please indulge me as I have a few questions after reading Roberts Rules.

a) If someone wants to make a motion during a general membership meeting and the chair does not call on them, what can that person do to be called upon to make a motion?

B) Our by-laws stipulate the agenda for all meetings, which the president has not followed at meetings. Can I call point of order to follow the by-laws. For example, the president has not allowed new business from the assembly. How can new business be added by the members when the president states that the topic is not going to be discussed (if he does not want to discuss the topic)?

c) How can the order of the agenda by amended before the meeting starts? Afterple, the president has not allowed new business from the assembly. How can new business be added by the members?

Thank you very much,

Renee

Good Afternoon,

Please indulge me as I have a few questions after reading Roberts Rules.

a) If someone wants to make a motion during a general membership meeting and the chair does not call on them, what can that person do to be called upon to make a motion?

B) Our by-laws stipulate the agenda for all meetings, which the president has not followed at meetings. Can I call point of order to follow the by-laws. For example, the president has not allowed new business from the assembly. How can new business be added by the members when the president states that the topic is not going to be discussed (if he does not want to discuss the topic)?

c) How can the order of the agenda by amended before the meeting starts? Afterple, the president has not allowed new business from the assembly. How can new business be added by the members?

Thank you very much,

Renee

In order:

A.  Raise a point of order that you have been seeking recognition for the purposes of making a motion but that the chair has refused to recognize you (or refused to "accept" your motion).  Someone else can make the point of order on your behalf.  Be prepared to appeal from the ruling of the chair....have someone ready to second your appeal.

B.  Yes, you may raise a point of order.  Any member may make a motion bringing new business before the assembly during the portion of the order of business or agenda category of "New Business".  Unless you have a rule to the contrary, an item does not have to be on the agenda to be brought up under New Business.

C. (Which relates to B :  The agenda can be amended before it is adopted by a simple motion to amend the agenda to add whatever it is you want to add.  It requires a second and a majority vote.  See FAQ # 14:  http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#14

Edited to add:  If the president refuses to properly conduct the meetings, he may be temporarily removed from presiding by a two thirds vote:  http://www.robertsrules.com/interp_list.html#2006_2

If he continues to refuse to follow the rules he can be removed from office:  http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#20

I have been in this situation Renee and I empathize. Load your meeting with supporters and be sure people are prepared to overrule your Chair, possibly many times.

Check that your new business does not have to be noticed (e.g, an election may need to be noticed). Even if it needs to be noticed, that can be put on the agenda even if the action cannot.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your answers. It is extremely helpful.

New question on this, the Board sent an email out stating what the agenda will be and what will and will not be allowed at the meeting. When the meeting starts, do I raise a point of order that the by-laws state the agenda, or do I make a motion to amend the agenda they have emailed the membership?

Thanking you in advance,

Renee

Since an "agenda" strictly speaking (p. 373) is a list of relatively specific items of business to be brought up at a meeting, it seems unlikely that the, or an, agenda would be found in the bylaws.  An "order of Business" (as on p. 26) might be there however.

Yes, you can and should move to amend the proposed agenda/list to set things up the way you would like. 

The board cannot (unless you have appropriate bylaw provisions - check them) "set" the agenda in advance.  An agenda can be proposed by the board or most anybody, but it is open to amendment prior to being adopted.  (And afterwards, if necessary.)

Thank you so much for your answers. It is extremely helpful.

New question on this, the Board sent an email out stating what the agenda will be and what will and will not be allowed at the meeting. When the meeting starts, do I raise a point of order that the by-laws state the agenda, or do I make a motion to amend the agenda they have emailed the membership?

Thanking you in advance,

Renee

Unless you have some unusual bylaws, the board has no authority over any details of a membership meeting. Or are you talking about a board meeting here? Are you a member of the board?

Our Annual membership meeting, which we hold elections at is tomorrow. I am not on the board, I am a member of good standing who decided to read up on Roberts Rules, which the President and the board, individually and as a whole does not follow. For example, during membership meetings for the past few years, when a member brings up a motion or question during new business, if the President does not want to address the item, he says that we are not discussing it now and does not allow any discussion. Subject is closed and off limits for discussion.

The current board is politicking, in my opinion, bordering unethical. Late this afternoon, the nominating committee candidates (the 5 candidates currently on the board running for election in different positions than they hold now), sent an email to the members, including myself, that the opposing candidates (meaning the candidates not on the board running against the board members up for election) stating, among other things:

"opposition candidates cannot possibly match our experience in the day-to-day operations of PCOTC: club maintenance, scheduling and registration, organizing and running events and public outreach.  Our working relationships with our exceptional instructors and training directors are well-established and fruitful."

The above email was sent from the Presidents personal email and signed by the 5 current board members running for election in different board positions than they are currently holding.

I know that the President of our club is member and entitled to his opinion as all members are. But, as the person who chairs our meetings, I'm wondering if there is anything in Roberts Rules that would/should prevent him from sending out emails and information like the one that was sent this afternoon. The current board, as a whole, have been sending out emails like this. Sometimes just to select members, sometimes to all members.

Thank you for your guidence.

Renee

I know that the President of our club is member and entitled to his opinion as all members are. But, as the person who chairs our meetings, I'm wondering if there is anything in Roberts Rules that would/should prevent him from sending out emails and information like the one that was sent this afternoon.

No.

Convince your fellow members to vote for "the opposition".

Archived