The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum for Adjourned Meeting

Robert B Fish

An organization is planning to call an ADJOURNED meeting at their next REGULAR meeting (Set the time to which to adjourn).  Their bylaws say that the quorum for a REGULAR meeting is the members who show up and the quorum for a SPECIAL meeting is a majority of the membership.  I am advising that, since the ADJOURNED meeting is continuation of the REGULAR meeting, then that quorum requirement, i.e. the members who show up, applies.  

But if the ADJOURNED meeting were set at a SPECIAL meeting, then that quorum requirement, i.e. majority of membership, would apply.

All agree?

-Bob

An organization is planning to call an ADJOURNED meeting at their next REGULAR meeting (Set the time to which to adjourn).  Their bylaws say that the quorum for a REGULAR meeting is the members who show up and the quorum for a SPECIAL meeting is a majority of the membership.  I am advising that, since the ADJOURNED meeting is continuation of the REGULAR meeting, then that quorum requirement, i.e. the members who show up, applies.  

But if the ADJOURNED meeting were set at a SPECIAL meeting, then that quorum requirement, i.e. majority of membership, would apply.

All agree?

-Bob

I don't agree that an adjourned regular meeting could be set as a special meeting. 

I don't agree that an adjourned regular meeting could be set as a special meeting. 

I agree with that but the original post did not say that was contemplated.  They plan to call an adjourned REGULAR meeting at their upcoming REGULAR meeting.  My query was whether it was generally agreed that the quorum requirement for a REGULAR meeting would apply to an adjourned REGULAR meeting.  Are you OK with that?

I agree with that but the original post did not say that was contemplated.  They plan to call an adjourned REGULAR meeting at their upcoming REGULAR meeting.  My query was whether it was generally agreed that the quorum requirement for a REGULAR meeting would apply to an adjourned REGULAR meeting.  Are you OK with that?

I am!

Archived