The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum

CrystalDiamond

Sometimes too, announcing consideration of a very controversial topic will being members to a meeting.

Over many years, for example, proposals of a "halfway house" near the local elementary school has resulted in large attendance and participation in our neighborhood Civic association.

Yes, indeed!!!  I use the example that someone wants to open an adult  bookstore in the shopping center down the street as a guaranteed way to get the members motivated to show up for a meeting!  A "dead" civic association will spring back to life almost spontaneously!! 

WOW, thank you all, some very good ideas here. Mr. Brown, once I get them there, they will be voted out. I like the idea of controversial topics as well. Mr. Fan, the meetings are at fixed times.  The last Saturday in each month at 2pm.  They always have food, so I guess I will have to try the beer.  Thank you all very much.

WOW, thank you all, some very good ideas here. Mr. Brown, once I get them there, they will be voted out.

Crystal, do your bylaws allow you to "vote members out", just like that, with no notice, no hearing, no due process? 

You might want to read chapter XX in the 11th edition of RONR.  That's the 26 page chapter on discipline. 

Asking inactive members to voluntarily resign is one thing.  Voting them out is quite another.

It might be better to amend the bylaws to lower the quorum requirement.

• 3 weeks later...

All is taken care of, friendly people. Thank you. Enough showed up. We lowered the quorum ratio. A few members don't want to vote others out, they just want them on an inactive list. Informed the bylaw committee to review the standing rules. Vote among the five of any new consensus, then bring results to the executive board. Thank you all.

A few members don't want to vote others out, they just want them on an inactive list.

Just keep in mind that RONR doesn't make any distinction between "active" and "inactive" members, so if you want that list to actually mean anything, you'll need to define in your bylaws what being "active" or "inactive" means.

Archived