The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Naming of Work Groups

DJGarvin

4 minutes ago, DJGarvin said:

I was told my our Parliamentarian that Work Group could not be used as it was not sanctioned by RR

You were told that it could not be used for what? Is this just a big argument about what you call something?

You might, for instance, want to look at what RONR (11th ed.) has to say about what it refers to as "breakout groups" on pages 541-42.

37 minutes ago, DJGarvin said:

I initially wanted to make a motion for certain Working Groups, she said I had to call them Committees because Working Groups were not a valid term in RONR

Well, if they were to function as committees, then there would be no reason not to call them that, and, of course, you would need to follow whatever procedures your organization has in place for the creation of committees. However, I know of no rule in RONR which says that you cannot name a committee a Working Group, or anything else you want to call it.

If they were not intended to function as committees, then obviously it is wrong to say that you had to call them committees.

Once again, this appears to be much ado about nothing.

2 hours ago, DJGarvin said:

I initially wanted to make a motion for certain Working Groups, she said I had to call them Committees because Working Groups were not a valid term in RONR

DJGarvin,

Q. What is a "Work Group"?

Q. How does one tell apart a committee from a Work Group?

Q. Does your constitution/bylaws use the term "Work Group"? -- If not, then why are you introducing an undefined term?

51 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Maybe one of the Work Groups is whoever will show up next Saturday morning to wash the clubhouse windows (or how about my boat - it's getting kinda' dirty).

I hope it's a big committee/work group/whatever they call themselves..  Those 55' Gibson Houseboats need a full cleaning crew just to tidy up a bit. :) 

5 minutes ago, DJGarvin said:

Thanks all

I didn't find a definite statement against what they are, their only function is to formulate an idea on one thing and give it back to the group to decide what is next

Basically, some research, discussions, and a proposal back to group

Well, it sounds like a committee to me, but whatever.  I suppose your organization is free to call it anything you want to.  I personally think of a "work group" as a group of volunteers (or appointees) appointed to do something like cleaning up the clubhouse after the meeting.  Or to shovel the snow off the sidewalk.  Or to paint Mr. Honemann's boat. :)

In parliamentary procedure, we usually look to substance, not form.  What you call something is of less importance than what it does.

Agree, as I saw what the groups were named as not of real concern, Committees are fine, I was just more taken off guard by the abject interruption and statement that according to RONR.  The individual was appointed as Parliamentarian to the Board and acts as an "experienced" member of this group.

2 hours ago, DJGarvin said:

The individual was appointed as Parliamentarian to the Board and acts as an "experienced" member of this group.

Suggestion:

Contact the two major parliamentary organizations (NAP and AIP) and use their referral service to find a parliamentarian geographically close to you.

I think you (all) would benefit from a one-hour refresher course on the basics of parliamentary procedure. This lesson would allow Q-and-A on the specific hot-button topics which you (collectively) are fuzzy about, or are in disagreement about. -- "What does The Book really say about _______ ?" (fill in the blank.)

Archived