The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Names specifically put in bylaws or committee language

Guest Pete

We are an existing non profit. Our board wants to put the names of the people in our bylaws that are in charge of committees or founders of fundraisers.

Are their any roberts rules citations or bylaw guidelines that says you don't put names in your bylaws for these purposes.

Thank You.

But it probably is not a good idea to put specific names of committee chairs, &c. in the bylaws.  Bylaws are supposed to be semi-permanent in nature (RONR, p. 12ff.).  It could get cumbersome to have to keep amending the bylaws just to name new chairmen and the like whenever there was a turnover.

The minutes are the best location to document the appointment of chairmen and is entirely sufficient.

8 hours ago, Guest Pete said:

We are an existing non profit. Our board wants to put the names of the people in our bylaws that are in charge of committees or founders of fundraisers.

Are their any roberts rules citations or bylaw guidelines that says you don't put names in your bylaws for these purposes.

Nothing in RONR says anything on this particular subject, but I concur with Dr. Stackpole that it's a bad idea. Do you really want to amend the bylaws every time you want to change committee chairs?

Founders wouldn't be as big a problem, I suppose, since that won't change. I've seen some organizations do that.

This is what they want to put in the bylaws with the persons name....at some point the founder won't be involved but I always thought that putting names in wasn't a good idea..

B. Specific Name, founder, will appoint the board of the foundation.

3. Specific Name, founder, will advise all parties of any decisions made.

1 hour ago, Guest Pete said:

This is what they want to put in the bylaws with the persons name....at some point the founder won't be involved but I always thought that putting names in wasn't a good idea..

B. Specific Name, founder, will appoint the board of the foundation.

3. Specific Name, founder, will advise all parties of any decisions made.

I see nothing wrong with this particularly - nor would RONR specifically.

12 hours ago, Guest Pete said:

Our board wants to put the names of the people, in our bylaws,

that are in charge of committees or founders of fundraisers.

Death; resignation; medical coma; criminal arrest -- these are things which can happen to your "founders".

And if you need to scramble and appoint a living person (or un-imprisoned person, etc.), you would have to amend your bylaws to make such an adjustment.

Q. If the person whose name is embedded into your bylaws were to suddenly die, then do you want no one "in charge of committees" until you amend the bylaws?

Q. Wouldn't it be easier to give a generic title to said persons, and use the title in the bylaws? -- so that you don't have to amend your bylaws upon every death/resignation?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.