The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee report

Guest bcsecretary

Our club elections are coming up next month, per the by-laws, the nominating committee must meet before October 1st and choose members that are willing to hold the offices available. The slate is then presented to the secretary, who sends it out to the membership no less than 10 days prior to the October meeting. At the meeting, members are able to nominate candidates from the floor, then elections take place in November. According to one committee member, the slate submitted to the secretary is not the slate that the committee agreed upon. Specifically, the chairman, whom the committee nominated for President, took her name off the slate and replaced it with "accepting nominations from the floor". The committee person who is making the accusations, was on the original slate as a board member and was completely omitted from the slate submitted to the secretary. The slate had already been sent to the membership prior to these accusations. Which slate should be presented to the membership? Since the chairman took her name off the slate submitted, does that constitute a withdrawal from nominations?

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

The secretary should send out the recommendations that are signed by the committee chairman. The dispute cannot be taken up until the meeting, at which time the aggrieved member may move for investigation, discipline, or some other remedy, although it seems unnecessary in regard to the election because (s)he can simply nominate her/himself from the floor.

One cannot "withdraw" from being nominated, though one can make clear during floor nominations that one will not accept office if elected.

15 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

The secretary should send out the recommendations that are signed by the committee chairman.

I disagree. I see no reason why the Secretary must take the chairman’s word at face value. Why not ask other members of the committee about their recollection of what the committee agreed to?

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

And where does that lead? To the secretary conducting his or her own vote among the rest of the committee members? I think that's beyond the secretary's pay grade. A signed report will more surely hang the chairman if foul deeds have been done.

18 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

And where does that lead? To the secretary conducting his or her own vote among the rest of the committee members? I think that's beyond the secretary's pay grade.

Sure, why not? The Secretary has been presented with two conflicting reports from members of the committee, each claiming that their version is the report of the committee. This situation must somehow be rectified, and asking the other committee members about it seems like as good a solution as any.

18 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

A signed report will more surely hang the chairman if foul deeds have been done.

Certainly, but I think the OP’s concern is not simply with who to blame, but to ensure that the assembly is presented with an accurate report from the nominating committee. Personally, I think it would be better for all involved to resolve this situation in advance rather than hashing it out at a meeting of the membership.

27 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

Sure, why not? The Secretary has been presented with two conflicting reports from members of the committee, each claiming that their version is the report of the committee. This situation must somehow be rectified, and asking the other committee members about it seems like as good a solution as any.

I concur.  Check with the other Committee members if there is doubt as to which is the majority report and then place that report before the members at the October meeting.  The member who filled the minority report can always follow RONR in order to have their report used instead.

I gather that, even in this instance, the nominating committee will submit its report directly to the membership at the membership's meeting.

The question asked is "Which slate should be presented to the membership?" I agree with H.H.H. that the committee's report at the meeting must be the report agreed upon by the committee. If the committee's reporting member submits anything else, and its accuracy is challenged, I suppose the assembly will have to resolve the problem as best it can at that time. But this hasn't happened yet, and maybe it won't.

16 hours ago, SaintCad said:

To expand upon this question, what if a committee member is sitting in the audience and the report is not the one the committee agreed to.  What does that member do?

If the member determines that the situation is serious enough that it requires immediate attention, it would seem to me that he could raise a Point of Order that the report is not the proper report of the committee. The member might also decide that it would be appropriate to initiate disciplinary action against the committee chairman (or reporting member).

EDIT: See here and here for more detailed discussions of this subject and some other ideas for how to handle the situation.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.