The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest EMS Volunteer

Guest EMS Volunteer

My volunteer organization operates off of a written constitution and bylaw book. I have a question which breaks down into several parts, all around the authority of the President. 

Our books clearly outline the responsibilities and duties of all officers and members. We have stipulations for membership which directly relate to benefits after a certain time period, basically if you do your duties for the required amount of time you’ll have less requirements after 7 years and then again after 10 years. Should you not perform your required duties, you suffer a loss of credited time which will need to be made up before being able to have less responsibilities. 

At our last meeting, our President basically wiped the time clean for those members who owe time going back to 2014. There is nothing in our books that state this is permissible. 

I’m looking for some specifics from RROR that I can cite at our next meeting and not simply “They can’t do that” answers. 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. 

DC8B71CF-63F7-40E8-B409-6460CEE4745F.jpeg

5 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I agree with Chris Harrison's post. However, I'm curious as to what is meant by the bylaw provision which says the president "will have none but a casting vote"?

Based on a quick Google search for “casting vote,” it appears that this unusual expression means that the President may only vote in the case of a tie.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.