The Official RONR Q & A Forums

HOA Board of 7 members Can the President vote?

Guest Jillie

As a President of a Homeowners Board of Directors I have been told that I cannot vote. I can only vote to break a tie. I have read that this is NOT true. Because it is a small board 4 of the 7 members are officers and 3 are directors. Because of the small size all can vote according to what I found in Robert's rules. The idea that a President only votes to break a tie comes from a very large board where the officers do NOT vote because there are many directors who do the voting.

Can anyone give me links to websites to back up that I am correct that in a small board a President can and does vote?

VOTING ON A NON PROFIT BOARD.docx

Well, a few things.  First, it is correct that under small board rules the President votes with the others.

However, to correct a few other things: in the "general" rules, the President does not vote only to break a tie, but rather whenever the vote will impact the outcome.  There is no need to break a tie - a tie vote means the motion is not adopted.  And the vote can change the outcome in more cases than a tie - for example, the presiding officer can vote to create a tie, thereby preventing the motion from being adopted, and can vote to give a 2/3 vote, or to deny one. In fact, under those rules, the President should not vote to break a tie if the President would vote against the motion.

In any case, those rules apply only to the presiding officer, not to all the officers.  Note also that they do not apply to the person of the President, but to the presiding officer.  The President can hand off the gavel for the duration of the handling of a particular motion and then vote with the others, for example.  If the President is absent and a Vice President is chairing the meeting, then that Vice President follows the rules just described.

But, back to your question - a board of 7 is indeed a small board.  As to a website, why not the FAQ you quote from here, and which happens to be on this very website?  However, you should also own a copy of RONR, and if you do, I can also provide a page reference.

Edited by Joshua Katz
Realized there is an FAQ on this.

41 minutes ago, Guest Jillie said:

Can anyone give me links to websites to back up that I am correct that in a small board a President can and does vote?

See FAQ # 1:  http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#1

Edited to add: I was on my cell phone and for some reason could not open Guest Jillie's link when I posted that.  I see now that what she posted is just a word document copy of FAQ # 1.  btw, I agree with the comments by Mr. katz.  If you have a copy of RONR, for more information on when the chair votes, see pages 53-54.  For more information on the "Small Board Rules", see pages 9 and 487-488

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

2 hours ago, Guest Jillie said:

As a President of a Homeowners Board of Directors I have been told that I cannot vote. I can only vote to break a tie. I have read that this is NOT true. Because it is a small board 4 of the 7 members are officers and 3 are directors. Because of the small size all can vote according to what I found in Robert's rules. The idea that a President only votes to break a tie comes from a very large board where the officers do NOT vote because there are many directors who do the voting.

VOTING ON A NON PROFIT BOARD.docx

You have been told incorrect information.   Hand the persson making this claim a copy of RONR 11th Ed. and ask them to show you the rule.  It's not in there.

• 2 years later...

Hi, Our BOD just had its regular quarterly HOA meeting, I am the secretary. In this meeting it was brought up that our President could not vote on a motion. I have the 11th edition of Robert’s Rules Of Order and cannot find the answer. Our board is a small body made up of 7 people all property owners. Would love to hear your opinion and where in the 11 th edition I can find the answer if it’s there. Thanks for your help. 

11 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

Hi, Our BOD just had its regular quarterly HOA meeting, I am the secretary. In this meeting it was brought up that our President could not vote on a motion. I have the 11th edition of Robert’s Rules Of Order and cannot find the answer. Our board is a small body made up of 7 people all property owners. Would love to hear your opinion and where in the 11 th edition I can find the answer if it’s there. Thanks for your help. 

This was posted as a new topic here.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.